THE GREAT DELIGHT OF ALUMNI
returning to campus for Alumni Weekend, the stately Miller-Ward
Alumni House has opened its doors at last. This years
reunion attendees were feted with a grand opening celebration
at the Tudor-style mansion on Houston Mill Road.
from the outside, the house makes a striking impression. Its
gabled roof and turret pose proudly against the blue of the
autumn sky. In the William and Clara Redmond
Gardens, the fading blooms of hostas and blushing dogwood
leaves belie the beauty of the spring to come. The soft bubbling
of the Warren fountain entreats alumni to pause a moment on
the Oxford porch before stepping inside their new Emory home.
Once inside and past the McLarty stairwell, overstuffed leather
ottomans in the wood-paneled Walt Davis Clubroom are not to
be resisted; visitors may grab a Coke from the vintage machine
in the Class of 1968 Dooleys Den and settle in for the
The Redmonds, Warren, McLarty, and Davis are among the twenty-five
individuals and two groups of benefactors (Oxford graduates
and members of the Class of 1968) who are honored with named
rooms or sections of the Miller-Ward Alumni House. In all, about
seven hundred donors contributed to the building project, according
to Jack Gilbert, associate vice president for institutional
place is clearly a celebration of all things Emory. A quick
tour is a difficult task: the walls are lined with beckoning
photos of anonymous students and prominent alumni.
house is named for H. Prentice Miller 27C-28G, who
served as dean of the freshman and sophomore classes and was
Emorys first dean of alumni, and current Dean of Alumni
Judson C. Jake Ward 33C-36G.
In the Prentice Miller Meeting Room sits the old desk of the
beloved teacher, counselor, guide, disciplinarian, mentor, and
dean to hundreds of students. As an instructor in English, Miller
earned a reputation for rigorous training in composition. As
an adviser to freshmen and sophomores, he was a realist who
leveled with students and challenged them to do their duty.
As dean of alumni beginning in 1960, he cultivated the friendship
and support of former students. He continued officially and
unofficially in that role until 1984. His handwritten notes
of thanks, his roasted pecans at Christmas, his time for all
those who wrote to seek help with their children or to remember
old times, all bear evidence to his single-minded devotion to
Emory and his students.
walls of the Judson C. Ward Board Room are lined with black-and-white
photos of a much younger Ward than the one still manning a desk
just down the corridor. As dean of alumni since 1985, Wards
counsel and consideration have helped interpret the new Emory
to those who have cared for it for many generations. Ward joined
Emory College as dean in 1948. In 1957, he was appointed vice
president and dean of faculties and in 1970 was named executive
vice president, a position from which he retired in 1979. He
has received the Award of Honor of the Association of Emory
Alumni (AEA), the Thomas Jefferson Award, and the Freedom Foundation
Award. Through his intellect, humor, charm, wisdom, and his
capacity to communicate, he embodies much of the spirit of Emory
The following are brief profiles of the benefactors who so generously
helped make the new house a reality. From the reception hall
on the houses main level, a curving staircase leads up
to the Tony Budd Lobby, named in memory of Townshend Budd 52B.
An investment banker and entrepreneur, Budd was the founder
of a securities firm and a small window manufacturing company.
He is remembered by his brother J. Coleman Budd 50B.
An associate justice on the Georgia Supreme Court and a veteran
of the Spanish American War, John S. Candler 1880C-1883G has
been remembered in the Governors Hall by his granddaughter,
Florrie Guy Funk, and her husband, F. James Funk 41C-44M.
Candlers brothers were Bishop Warren A. Candler and Coca-Cola
founder Asa G. Candler. Candler was an advocate for the creation
of the Emory law school. He served as the first president of
the Emory University Alumni Association in 1924 and was a member
of the Emory Board of Trustees.
alumni career center on the second floor of the house is named
for Lewis Lamar Luke Clegg 25C-31G.
As director of admissions for Emory College, Clegg found jobs
for many students and helped launch the careers of others. Says
one alumnus, When I came to Emory, I had no money and
no place to stay. Luke Clegg and his wife took me in and fed
me so I could go to school. Clegg served Emory University
for more than forty years.
clubroom on the main level of the alumni house is named for
Walter R. Davis Jr. 34C, who earned the nickname Mr.
Emory as longtime director of the Association of Emory
Alumni. With his knowledge of Emory traditions and his capacity
for travel, remembering names, and endearing himself to those
he met, Davis crossed the South and the country meeting with
alumni and making them loyal friends of the University. When
Davis retired in 1978, Emory President James T. Laney named
him Poet-Humorist of Emory.
The executive directors suite on the houses first
floor is named for Emory Trustee James L. Ferman Jr. 65B,
president of Ferman Motor Car Company, the Tampa, Florida, auto
dealership group founded by his grandfather in 1895. He is a
founding member of the board of governors of the Association
of Emory Alumni and a past president of the Tampa Emory Alumni
Club. He received an Emory Medal in 1999.
The suite of four AEA offices in the Godwin Center is named
for Hubert O. Godwin; his wife, Georgia Adams Godwin; their
son John T. Godwin 38C-41M; and his wife, Sara M.
Godwin. Hubert Godwin practiced law, organized banks, and served
four times as mayor of Social Circle, Georgia. John Godwin has
been a practicing pathologist and professor of pathology at
Emory, Georgia State University, and Morehouse School of Medicine.
Gallery of Honor on the upper level of the alumni house is named
for Cleburne E. Gregory Jr. 32C, an attorney who served
with the Georgia Attorney Generals Office and as a private
attorney in the Atlanta firm that now bears his name, Arnall,
Golden, and Gregory. During his career, Gregory argued several
pivotal cases in Georgia history, including the famous case
of the two governors, in which Ellis Arnall and Herman
Talmadge disputed the outcome of the 1946 gubernatorial contest.
J. Sam Guy, for whom the dining room on the houses main
level is named, pioneered the teaching of chemistry at Emory
and helped create the student-focused environment that remains
a hallmark of the department. Guy, who insisted on teaching
freshmen himself, was remembered by former students for his
inspiration, his encouragement, his advice, and occasionally
his financial aid. He served Emory for thirty-five years
as teacher and department chair.
to the house were made in honor of John Hamilton Holmes 67M,
one of the first two African-American students to attend the
University of Georgia and the first to attend Emorys medical
school. Holmes was a member of the orthopedic division of Emorys
Department of Surgery and later became chief of orthopedics
at the Veterans Medical Center. He was named medical director
at Grady Hospital in 1989 and later served as chief of orthopedic
surgery at Grady. He was an assistant professor in Emorys
The Center for Student Alumni is named for Clark Howell Jr.
45C, a journalism major who served as business manager
of the Campus. Howell was a member of the editorial staff of
the Atlanta Constitution, the newspaper his family directed
for almost a century. He later became a vice president of the
Trust Companys department of governmental affairs.
gate over the walkway leading to the front of the alumni house
is named for John S. Inman Jr. 42C-45M and his sons,
John S. Inman III 79C-83M and Mark A. Inman 86C.
An obstetrician in Albany, Georgia, John Inman Jr. has helped
bring more than nine thousand babies into the world. He served
on the National Council of Medicine, a group of physicians and
lay people who advise the School of Medicine. John Inman III
now leads in the practice of obstetrics with his father. Mark
Inman is an attorney in Atlanta.
to the house were made in honor of Herbert R. Karp 42C-51M,
who for thirty-seven years taught neurology and served at Emory,
Grady, and the Veterans Administration hospitals. He was chair
of the neurology department until, late in his career, an interest
in aging drew him to geriatric medicine. He became director
of the Division of Geriatric Medicine at Emory and director
of medical services at the Wesley Woods Center. He received
the Thomas Jefferson Award and the Outstanding Faculty Award
from the Emory School of Medicine.
curving central staircase in the alumni house is named for Paul
M. McLarty Jr. 63C-66L and Ruth B. McLarty, whose
work in real estate law and leadership in the arts, religious
life, and youth organizations are well known in Atlanta. Since
1988, the McLartys have devoted themselves to the re-colonization
of the Alpha Tau Omega (ATO) fraternity, to which Paul McLarty
belonged as a student. The couple has worked to re-establish
ATO at Emory as a model fraternity.
to the house have been made in honor of biochemist Evangeline
T. Papageorge 29G, who in 1929 became the first woman
appointed to Emorys full-time faculty. She was appointed
assistant dean of Emory University School of Medicine in 1956,
associate dean in 1957, and executive associate dean in 1968,
retiring in 1975. Throughout her Emory career, Papageorge remained
committed to teaching, research, and quality of life for Emorys
medical students. She has received the Thomas Jefferson Award
and awards of honor from Emory medical school alumni and the
Association of Emory Alumni.
gardens in front of the house are named for William B. Redmond
27C-28G and Clara Street Redmond, who shared a passion
for horticulture. Redmond taught at Emory from 1928 until 1951,
when he joined the research department of the Veterans Administration.
He devoted his life to research of infectious diseases, particularly
tuberculosis, and gained international recognition for his work.
He received the Emory School of Medicine Distinguished Service
Award in 1969.
library on the upper floor is named for the Schley family of
Columbus, Georgia. Francis Brooking Schley 24M was a pediatrician
and civic leader. Frank B. Schley Jr. 50C-53M, also
a pediatrician, was an active naturalist, conservationist, and
community activist. Philip T. Schley 56M is a urologist
and has been chair of the local school board. W. Shain Schley
62C-66M is chair of the Department of Otorhinolaryngology
at the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and is otorhinolaryngol-ogist-in-chief
at the New York Hospital. Robert S. Schley 91M is an anesthesiologist
in Miami, Florida. Alexandra Schley 94C-99MBA is
pursuing a career in business.
fountain at the alumni house is named in memory of Martha Malone
Warren 35L by her family. A native of Monticello, Georgia,
Warren completed Emory law school when few women were pursuing
the professions. She practiced law for several years with her
husband, Julian Benjamin Warren 31C-34L, and managed
several family businesses and a family trust.
also created the Class of 1999 Garden and the Oxford Porch.