This overview of the University appeared in the February 24, 1926, issue of the Atlanta Journal as part of a feature story on Emory's new ten-year, $10 million expansion program. In that article, "famous composer and nature lover" Thurlow Lieurance described the 165-acre Druid Hills site as "the most beautiful natural setting of any University campus in America." (In 1977, Alistair Cooke would echo that sentiment when he described the Emory campus as "the most beautiful in America" during a BBC broadcast.) When this photo was taken, the Quadrangle was made up of (clockwise from lower right) the Law Building (now part of the Michael C. Carlos Museum), the Theology Building, the Physics Building, and the Library Building. The article also included a drawing (bottom left) that showed where future projects would be. Some of those structures, including a new athletic field, were completed, while others, including a teachers' college, never materialized.
Photo courtesy of Special Collections