There was a surge of construction on the campus between 1949 and the mid-1970s, when this photograph was taken. Some of the more conspicuous additions include the Robert W. Woodruff Library (1969); the Administration Building (1955); Goodrich C. White Hall (1977), which was named for the man who was Emory's president from 1942-57; and the Chemistry Building (1974), which was renamed the Sanford S. Atwood Chemistry Center in 1991 to honor Emory's sixteenth president. It should also be noted that in 1958, the actual size of the University nearly doubled with the purchase of the 185-acre Lullwater estate (the wooded area in the upper left corner) from Emory alumnus and benefactor Walter T. Candler.

Return to main story.