Emory Medals are presented to four prominent alumni
The annual Alumni Weekend celebration Sept. 28-30 was highlighted by
the presentation of the Emory Medal to four of the University's most distinguished
alumni. This year's honorees include a member of the U.S. House of Representatives,
a longtime Atlanta community activist, a volunteer in the literacy/education
arena, and a pioneer in the medical field. Emory Medal recipients for 1996
Tillie Kidd Fowler
Tillie Kidd Fowler graduated from the College in 1964 with a bachelor of
arts degree in political science, then received her law degree from the
Law School in 1967. She became a legislative assistant for Robert G. Stephens
Jr. in 1970-71, and later served as General Counsel for the White House
Office of Consumer Affairs in 1982-83. In 1985 she was elected to the Jacksonville,
Fla., City Council. Two years later, she became the first republican and
the first woman president of the City Council. She left office in 1992 and
was elected to the U.S. House of
Representatives. She was re-elected without opposition in 1994 and faces
re-election again this year. Fowler has served as deputy majority whip and
as a member of the House Republican Policy Committee, the House Republican
Research Committee, and the Republican Freshman Reform Task Force.
At Emory, Fowler has been a member of the Association of Emory Alumni Board
of Governors and the Alumni Leadership Committee.
Charles A. Harris
Charles A. Harris graduated from Emory with a bachelor of business administration
degree in 1942. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps during World War II and
retired with the rank of major in 1946.
Living in Ocilla, Ga., he owns A.S. Harris Department Store. He is president
of the First State Bank of Ocilla and has served as a board director for
more than 40 years. He is also a director of the Irwin County Library.
Harris was the first non-lawyer member of the State Disciplinary Board,
later serving as vice chair. He was elected to a seat on the State Department
Executive Committee, appointed by Gov. Jimmy Carter to the State Board of
Regents, and was a delegate to the 1972 National Democratic Convention.
Harris currently is a member of the State Vocational Technical School Board,
chairman of the State Literacy Program, and treasurer of the Georgia Democratic
Party. He is active in many Jewish organizations and has served Emory on
the Board of Visitors and the Alumni Council.Alicia Anne Philipp Alicia
Anne Philipp earned her bachelor of arts degree in political science in
1975, and her master of business administration degree from Georgia State
University in 1982. She worked with Central Atlanta Progress and was assistant
director of the Georgia Special Olympics.
Since 1977, Philipp has served as executive director of the Metropolitan
Atlanta Community Foundation (MACF), whose endowment has increased from
$7 million to more than $80 million during her tenure. Consequently, the
MACF is the 11th largest and fastest growing community foundation in the
United States. The MACF was the first major charitable organization in Atlanta
to provide grants to groups assisting AIDS patients.
At Emory, Philipp has served on the Board of Visitors and is a member of
the Advisory Committee of the Rollins School of Public Health. She is on
the Board of Directors for the Council on Foundations and the Independent
Sector, and serves as chairwoman for the Women and Foundation/Corporate
Philanthropy and the United Way of Atlanta Evaluation Committee. She is
a former vice president of the Downtown Area Council of the Atlanta Chamber
of Commerce and is a graduate of Leadership Atlanta, where she served on
the Executive Committee from 1981-84, and has been a member of the Advisory
Committee of The Atlanta Project since 1991.
William C. Waters III
William C. Waters III received his degree in English from the College in
1950 and his medical degree in 1958. He currently is chair of the Promina
Health System board.
As a faculty member at Emory in 1962-70, he helped develop the first renal
transplant program in Georgia, as well as the first chronic dialysis program.
Waters was chairman of the board for Piemont Medical Center. He also chaired
the Department of Internal Medicine and the Research, Laboratory Advisory,
and Utilization Committees at Piedmont Hospital until he retired in 1984.
His medical publications include articles in The American Journal of
Medicine, The American Surgeon and The Heart.
Waters is a clinical associate professor of medicine in the School of Medicine.
He served as chairman of the Clinical Facility in 1981, president of the
Emory Medical Alumni Association in 1989-90, volunteered with the Emory
Alumni Fund Class of 1950 Reunion Committee in 1989-90, and is currently
an alumni representative to the School of Medicine Curriculum Task Force.
-- Erin Miles
to the October 7, 1996 contents page