One of the first and most obvious benefits of the Woodruff Health Sciences Fund Inc. will be a new impetus to the Winship Cancer Center's push toward becoming Georgia's only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center, providing Georgians and others in the region access to clinical trials and programs open only to such centers.
President Bill Chace noted that it is especially appropriate that the Winship Cancer Center benefit from the foundation's initiative. One of Robert Woodruff's earliest gifts to Emory established the Winship Clinic for Neoplastic Diseases in 1937. The Clinic, named after his maternal grandfather, was committed to a multidisciplinary approach and patient care enhanced by research. It was the forerunner of today's Winship Cancer Center, founded in 1985 to bring together all of Emory's clinical and laboratory research programs in cancer. Today the Winship Cancer Center has the largest cancer treatment program and the most extensive program in cancer research in Georgia.
Since receiving a National Cancer Institute (NCI) Planning Grant, the Center has completed an extensive renovation of its facilities to meet NCI standards and has been successful in recruiting the clinicians and re searchers required for the scope of services necessary for NCI Cancer Center status.