October 29, 2007
Turner Village cleared for mixed-use project
By david payne
Starting in November the Turner Village Apartments and the D. Abbott Turner Center on Clifton Road will be cleared for the first phase of development of Emory’s mixed-use, residential and retail development across from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Demolition of the housing, originally built in 1959, will be complete by mid-December.
When complete, new mixed-use development will include street-level retail and housing units marketed at employees who work at Emory, the CDC and other institutional employers on Clifton Road.
The mixed-use project is expected to be part of the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED “green” building program. Over 50 percent of all of the construction material from the demolition of this site will be recycled back into the mixed-use development or other nearby projects. The University is donating all of the appliances from Turner Village to Atlanta Habitat for Humanity.