Graduate Business: How to Apply: International
The mission of International Student and Scholar Programs (ISSS) is to facilitate global education and cultural exchange at Emory University through services and programs for Emory international students and scholars and the wider community with whom they interact. At present, there is no federal, state or Emory need-based funding available for international students. Check the link to your school provided by the ISSS Emory website to see if there are any non-need based scholarship opportunities available.
If you are a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen you should complete the 2012-13 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov. You can apply for Federal Stafford Loans and/or Federal Graduate Plus Loans to finance your education. If you are unsure if you qualify as an eligible noncitizen click the following link and look for Citizen/Eligible Noncitizen. http://www.emory.edu/FINANCIAL_AID/glossary.php
An international student enrolled in the Goizueta Business School does have options for financing the cost of attendance with private education loans.
Option 1: Private education loans with a credit worthy U.S. citizen cosigner. You may borrow up to full cost of education less any other aid received provided you and your cosigner meet the eligibility requirements set forth by the lender. There are a number of lenders who offer this type of loan. The interest rate and fees will be determined by the lender. Please select the following link to review specific borrowing options: Private Educational Loan Lender List for International MBAs. Emory will certify any loan selected by a Goizueta MBA student and does not place any limit or restriction on a student's choice of lender. The Financial Aid Office does advise students to carefully consider any loan they borrow and to compare rates, fees and other expenses when considering loans.
Option 2: Emory Alliance Credit Union Custom MBA Loan is a private education loan offered to International Graduate Students at Emory University’s Goizueta Business School. A U.S. citizen cosigner is not required for this loan. An applicant must be an international student attending Goizueta and become a member of the Emory Alliance Credit Union to receive funding. You may borrow a total of $84,000 for your MBA program. There is a maximum loan amount of $50,000 per academic year (or the cost of attendance less any other aid received). The minimum loan amount that you may request is $5,000. Please select the following link for more information on the eligibility requirements and terms of the loan: http://goizueta.studentchoice.org/. Student Choice will send first time borrowers a personal email of support that may be used for I-20 completion.
- The cost of attendance for student loans is set by Emory’s central Financial Aid Office. This may be different from the cost given by the Business School.
- You may only borrow one academic year at a time. You cannot borrow the full cost of the program on one application/promissory note.
- Immigration documentation is required by the lender prior to disbursement of loans.
- The Emory Alliance Credit Union Custom MBA Loan requires Goizueta Business School to provide guaranty against loan losses of the lender. Timely repayment of outstanding loan balances will ensure the sustainability of this program.
Please note: You are not required to use any of these lenders – the choice of lender is yours.
The websites below are helpful resources external to Emory used by international students attending United States higher education institutions.
- General guide for foreign students studying in the U.S.
- USA Study Guide
- General web site that aids foreign students in calculating the cost and funding options available in the U.S.
- International Student Exchange and Study Abroad Resource Center
- Online resource providing the international student one site with information, services and resources regarding postgraduate education opportunities.
- Rotary International
- Global organization geared towards community services that sponsor opportunities for foreign students.
- Scholarship Experts
- Membership based site that helps U.S. and international students find scholarships to attend college in the USA.