The Student Activity & Academic Center offers tennis racquet stringing to members and non-members of the facility. The tennis racquet stringing service is customized to each individual order. Each patron will have the ability to choose the type of string and specify the tension of the racquet. If you have any questions regarding tennis racquet stringing please contact Ne'ko Browder at email@example.com.
- Tension on a tennis racquet is measured in pounds (lbs). Tension will affect how the tennis ball will feel and react when struck by the racquet. It will not allow the player to hit the ball better, but it will provide a preferred feel and response. It is recommended that tension be altered in 2-3 lbs increments.
- General Rule of Tension: "Less Tension will give you more Power, and More Tension will give you More Control and Feel"
- Suggestions for Racquet Tension: If the racquet has been previously strung, check it to see if the stringer has left a tag on it specifying the tension. This can be used as a starting point for the current stringing decision. Also, most racquets recommend a specific tension range that is appropriate for that racquet. The middle of the tension range recommended can be used as a starting point for the current stringing decision.
- Suggestions for Player Tension: If power is not an issue for the player it is recommended that the racquet have a tighter tension for more ball control and feel. Please remember, if the racquet is strung too tight the string bed will start to feel overly stiff and dead. If power is an issue to the player or the player is trying to reduce stress on body joints then a looser tension is appropriate Please remember, if the tension becomes too loose the string bed will become overly spongy and the player will loose considerable ball control and feel. The bottom line is there will be trade-offs for tighter or looser tension measurements, but it is entirely a matter of preference to the player.
- String on a tennis racquet is measured in a variety different types of characteristics. These characteristics include: playability, durability, power, stiffness, texture, and material construction. Much like tension, string will affect how the tennis ball will feel and react when struck by the racquet. It will not allow the player to hit the ball better, but it will provide a preferred feel and response.
- The Student Activity & Academic Center will not string a racquet that is cracked or has a broken frame. Strings on a racquet exert an enormous amount of pressure on the racquet head during the stringing process. If the racquet cannot withstand this pressure it will violently snap and could cause injury to the stringer. In the event the racquet you have provided us is not in a condition to be strung the stringer will contact you regarding this matter.
- If the grommets (the plastic tubes that run through the frame and guide the string) are not in an appropriate condition they could cause the string to break during the stringing process or to break more quickly during usual play. If the racquet string broke at or near the frame this is an indication that the grommets are worn or damaged. The stringer will notify you regarding this matter.
- The Student Activity & Academic Center's stringing machine is regularly calibrated for accurate tension measurements.
- Service Times:
Your racquet will be ready by the following Friday.
Wilson NXT 16-Gauge
Price: $35.00 (includes string and labor)
Description: Wilson NXT 16-Gauge combines Dupont Xycro Micro fibers with polyurethane resin and coating for optimal feel, comfort, and playability. Wilson's best selling premium performance string. It is the ideal choice for players suffering from tennis elbow.
Wilson Sensation 16-Gauge
Price: $32.00 (includes string and labor)
Description: Wilson Sensation 16-Gauge is a great value in a multi filament fiber. It is a comfortable playing string with a nice blend of feel and playability. Known for its vibration dampening qualities, Sensation original lives up to is long standing reputation as an arm friendly string choice.
Wilson Stamina 16-Gauge
Price: $28.00 (includes string and labor)
Description: Wilson Stamina 16-Gauge is designed as a longer lasting synthetic cut string using Tensilast, Wilson's exclusive high durability fiber. Wilson's Tensilast greatly improves durability without stiffening the string.
Gamma TNT 16-Gauge
Price: $32.00 (includes string and labor)
Description: Gamma's TNT 16-Gauge flagship string was introduced in the mid 1990's and has helped raise consumer awareness regarding the importance of strings and stringing. With a proven history of offering responsive feel, power, and comfort characteristics; TNT continues to be a top choice among players of all levels. Durability is enhanced through Gamma's Pearl coating process.
Gamma Synthetic Cut 16-Gauge
Price: $22.00 (includes string and labor)
Description: An all around performance string that offers a balance of playability and durability for wide range of audiences and playing styles. This is a basic synthetic cut string.
- Optional Services:
Racquet Labor Only - $12.00 (patron must provide string)
Overgrip Racquet - $3.00
Regrip Racquet - $5.00