ACE/CPI Resident Advisor
ACE/CPI Resident Advisors begin training on June 23, 2013. All positions include a generous stipend, a private, furnished residence hall room, and food service in the Dobbs University Center and at various other optional food venues. Students are allowed to move directly from their current Residence Life & Housing assignment to their summer housing, and then directly from their summer housing to their fall assignment, therefore providing comprehensive housing for the summer. Selected applicants are not allowed to have any outside employment or take summer classes during Summer School Session B. All applicants must be current Emory students or Emory students graduating in Spring 2013.
Working with the ACE/CPI Summer Programs and the Residence Life and Housing is a great opportunity and will provide you with lifelong experiences and memories. We pride ourselves on having a positive and fun-loving work environment. If you would like to speak with us about your interest, or have any questions about the position, we invite you to contact us.
The Office of Residence Life & Housing will hire up to two (2) ACE/CPI Resident Advisors.
Applications are due by 5 PM on Tuesday, March 19, 2013.
Dates of employment are June 24, 2013 - August 24, 2013, with a week off from July 20-26, 2013.
Responsibilities shall include but are not limited to:
- Work closely with other staff members to accomplish the overall mission of the program by attending to the safety, well-being, and enjoyment of ACE/CPI Program students
- RA responsibilities include day, evening, and night commitments, although there are times when an RA is off-duty while students are in class, and RAs will have one day off a week
- Attending mandatory weekly staff and team meetings to discuss student concerns and student programming
- Organize and lead daily programs and activities for students, including evening programs and weekend events. Use creativity in designing activities that appeal to this culturally diverse group of students
- Adhering to assigned work schedules and maintaining accurate housing operational records
- Work with RHD, Assistant Director for Summer and Pre-College Programs, and Summer School administrators to establish appropriate methods of articulating program and academic expectations and enforcing program rules
- Clearly articulate program and academic expectations and standards to students
- Enforce ACE/CPI Summer program rules consistently and fairly. Follow up immediately on student behavior problems as directed during training
- Performing daily customer service operations such as handling student check-in and check-out, explaining procedures, giving directions, and reporting specific needs/concerns of students
- Providing a staff presence at various ACE/CPI program functions taking place on campus
- Responding to emergency maintenance requests by contacting the appropriate person(s)
- Preparing ACE/CPI Summer program housing prior to students' arrivals
- Reporting any defects or damages to students' rooms including necessary routine repairs
- Sharing on-call responsibilities with other ACE/CPI program RAs and responding to emergencies
- Attending the mandatory training session one week prior to the ACE/CPI program start date (July 1, 2013)
- Participating as a member of a staff team that will be composed of one Residence Hall Director and 2 Resident Advisors. The Resident Advisors are responsible for sharing ideas, problems, concerns, and suggestions for possible improvements with the Residence Hall Director, in addition to helping and supporting fellow staff team members
- Being helpful, friendly, and willing to assist ACE/CPI program students in any way possible
- Monitoring the physical condition of the residence hall, including reporting emergency maintenance situations to the appropriate person(s)
- Getting to know all the students in the program
- Serve as a positive role model and resource for all ACE/CPI program students
- Be a visible and accessible presence throughout the ACE/CPI program. Be aware of student concerns and problems, and immediately report critical information to the RHD
- Respond to student emergency situations at all times. Utilize emergency protocol outlined in training
- Plan and assist with social and recreational activities during the program
- Assist with emergencies that may arise during the program
- Other duties as assigned.
Back to Top
- Must be an Emory or Oxford College student in good academic and judicial standing.
- Must be able to commit to the posted summer dates of employment, including training that occurs during the spring semester.
- May not be enrolled as a summer student during Summer Session B, or hold another position of employment during ACE/CPI Program dates.
- Must be able to demonstrate attributes of both a team player and a leader.
- Must possess an excellent customer service disposition.
- Must be able to serve as a resource for and a positive representative of Emory University.
- Must possess a valid driver's license and must be approved to drive University vehicles by the Office of Risk Management.
- Experience within a PC/Windows environment is helpful.
- Previous Residence Life experience or experience with other pre-college programs preferred.
Back to Top
ACE Program Resident Advisor dates of employment are June 24, 2013 - August 25, 2013, with some training responsibilities during Spring Semester 2013. You will also be able to have a week off employment from July 20-26, 2013.
Back to Top
ACE Resident Advisors will receive a furnished, private room on central campus for the duration of their employment. You must live in this room to be available for on-call duties and other responsibilities. This will also include food service in the Dobbs University Center and at various other optional food venues. ACE/CPI RAs will receive a $2,170 stipend, paid in three monthly installments (June, July and August).
Back to Top
Please submit the following to apply:
Complete applications can be sent to the address below; however, due to delays in campus mail, persons mailing their applications are urged to do so early to ensure delivery. Additionally, applications may be left with the receptionist at Alabama Hall.
We are sorry, but electronic submission is not available. We cannot accept faxed or emailed applications. You will receive notification once we receive your completed application.
Back to Top
For additional information, please contact:
Cristina Dimengo, Complex Director
Office of Residence Life & Housing
Atlanta, GA 30322
Emory University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Back to Top