Commencement Housing Assistant
The Commencement Housing Assistant (CHA) is a full-time, undergraduate student who -- under the supervision and direction of the Complex Director of Raoul Hall -- serves as an administrator, facilities liaison, role model, customer service representative, and team member for the Commencement Weekend guests of Raoul Hall. The CHA, in partnership with the Resident Advisor (RA) staff, works to create and maintain a healthy environment for the Commencement Weekend guests as well as the smaller number of remaining students within the building. In carrying out his/her/hir duties, the CHA is expected to treat other students, supervisors, fellow employees, and Commencement Weekend guests with courtesy and respect.
Responsibilities shall include but are not limited to:
- Deliver and/or post all flyers and campus information as needed.
- Check and respond when appropriate to voicemail and email daily.
- Complete all paperwork as assigned by the Complex Director and submit themin a timely manner.
- Do not speak to the media, press, or parents in the official capacity of a Commencement Housing Assistant for the Office of Residence Life and Housing or Emory University without permission from their supervising Complex Director.
- Preserve the confidentiality of personal information about students and commencement Weekend guests obtained in the course of employment and responsible treatment of all information to whiche s/he/ze is given access (rosters, locator cards, etc.).
- Collaborate with the Raoul Resident Advisor (RA) staff to "flip" Raoul Hall from Spring operations to Commencement Weekend operations, including but not limited to reporting issues in rooms expected to be used by guests, moving furniture, and making beds.
Concierge Desk Coverage/Customer Service:
- Assume scheduled Concierge Desk responsibility while Commencement Weekend guests are on campus as determined by the Complex Director.
- Act as a positive representative of Emory University Conference Services each time you interact with a Commencement Weekend guest at ALL times.
Training & Meetings:
- There will be brief training sessions on Monday, April 20 (7:00pm - 9:30pm) and Sunday, April 26 (5:30pm - 7:30pm), as well as daily briefing sessions Thursday, May 7 through Wednesday, May 13.
- Abide by and enforce all University rules, regulations, and policies.
- Comply with the most current Policies and Procedures within the CHA job description, Community Living Standards on the Residence Life and Housing website, and expectations and guidelines of the supervising Complex Director.
- CHAs are subject to the same disciplinary sanctions as other residents for violation of residence hall rules as set by Residence Life and Housing Community Living Standards or any other applicable University rules and regulations.
- The CHA may be subjected to staff discipline, including termination, if the behavior that violates rules, regulations, or policies also call into question his/her fitness to be a CHA.
Role Modeling & Attitude:
- Convey a positive attitude towards the CHA position and its duties and responsibilities.
- Comply with the University's sexual harassment and non-discrimination policies involving fellow staff members, residents, and Commencement Weekend guests.
- Act as a positive role model both for fellow staff members, residents, and Commencement Weekend guests by not participating in questionable or unethical behavior.
- Treat fellow employees, students, and Commencement Weekend guests with courtesy and respect.
Back to Top
- Academic Standing: Candidates are required to be in good academic standing with the University, which includes being a full-time, registered student at Emory. Candidates must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 at the time of application and must maintain this minimum GPA throughout the duration of employment with the department. No exceptions will be made.
- Disciplinary Standing: Candidates are required to be in good disciplianry standing with the University. All candidates having a prior disciplinary history during their tenure as an Emory student should share that information during their interview. Having a disciplinary history with the University or with the Department does not eliminate a candidate from consideration, but the nature of the inciden(s) may have bearing. All candidates' disciplinary histories will be checked with the Office of Student Conduct.
- Residency Standing: Candidates are required to have completed one full semester as a student of Emory University by the time of employment.
- Physical Ability: Due to the nature of this position, students must be able to complete physical tasks, such as repeatedly moving housing furniture and making beds.
- Other Qualifications: Graduating seniors and current Resident Advisors are NOT able to apply for this position, as it conflicts with their other responsiblities and events over Commencement Weekend. Due to the nature of this position, holding another job or internship currently while employed as a CHA is quite difficult. Please contact Ambra Yarbrough (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss this possibility early in the application process.
Back to Top
Commencement Housing Assistants will work from Thursday, May 7 through Wednesday, May 13, 2015.
Spring Training: In addition, all CHAs are required to attend Spring Staff Training on Monday, April 20 (7:00pm - 9:30pm) and Sunday, April 26, 2015 (5:30pm - 7:30pm). Training will cover in-community training, an informal social, and some administrative work. Attendance is MANDATORY for the entirety of BOTH trainings.
Back to Top
A staff position in the residence halls cannot easily be translated into hours worked per day or week because of the unique nature of the responsibilities and circumstances. The position requires a genuine personal commitment, flexibility, and good understanding of the unpredictable nature of the actual time involved.
CHAs are paid a $500 stipend, as well as provided housing in a room (Raoul Hall) from Thursday, May 7 through Wednesday, May 13, 2015.
Back to Top
Please submit the following to apply:
- A completed online application.
- A resume and listing of activities in which you are involved (to be attached to the application).
Complete applications and resumes must be submitted via email by 5PM on Friday, March 6, 2015.
Selected applicants will be invited to interview between Monday, March 16 and Friday, April 3, 2015.
Applicants will be notified by Monday, April 8, 2015, of their standing in the process.
Back to Top
For additional information, please contact:
Office of Residence Life
Atlanta, GA 30322
Emory University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Back to Top