Conference Assistant - Clairmont Campus
Each Clairmont Campus Conference Assistant reports directly to the Assistant Director and performs a variety of duties that assist the Summer Conference Program. These very intense, full-time, live-in, summer positions will challenge the abilities of those chosen and offer them valuable skills in communication and organization. Although weekly schedules will vary, Conference Assistants will work approximately 30 hours per week and are not permitted to have another employment position. Clairmont Campus Conference Assistants can be enrolled in summer school courses only with prior approval from the Assistant Director.
The Office of University Conferences will hire one to two (1-2) Clairmont Campus Conference Assistants.
- Applications are due Tuesday, March 21, 2012.
- Interviews for select candidates will take place between Monday, March 26, 2012 and Friday, March 30, 2012.
- Select candidates will have a group interview session Tuesday, April 3, 2012 from 7:00 PM until 9:00 PM. All applicants must be available for an interview at this time.
- Decisions will be announced Friday, April 6, 2012.
- Selected candidates will have an orientation session Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM.
- Dates of employment are Wednesday, May 16, 2012 – Tuesday, August 21, 2012.
Responsibilities shall include but are not limited to:
- Preparing for all aspects of assigned conferences to ensure a successful program for the conference guests.
- Maintaining contact with conference organizers to ensure that the Office of University Conferences is aware of all group needs and potential problems.
- Interacting with Conferences staff members and the Clairmont Campus Community Office to ensure all necessary preparations for assigned individual groups have been performed and that the office is ready for the groups’ arrivals.
- Representing University Conferences at the Clairmont Campus Community Office and performing assigned office duties, including answering phones, receiving packages, handling maintenance requests and responding to lock-outs.
- Performing daily customer service operations such as handling guest check-in and check-out, explaining procedures, giving directions, and reporting specific needs/concerns of guests.
- Serving as a resource/referral person for conference guests by responding to requests for information about Emory and the Atlanta community.
- Attending mandatory weekly staff meetings to discuss conference plans and concerns.
- Creating and maintaining detailed assigned conferences bills.
- Entering guest and conference data into the conference database system and preparing all guest check-in materials.
- Adhering to assigned work schedules and maintaining accurate conference operational records.
- Keeping accurate key inventories and documenting all key problems.
- Responding to emergency maintenance requests by contacting the appropriate person(s).
- Verifying the set-up of audio-visual equipment and catering requests in meeting rooms throughout Clairmont Campus, as well as physically arranging rooms if necessary.
- Preparing guests’ rooms prior to arrivals, including the delivery and set up of linen, and linen removal when guests leave campus.
- Completing apartment inspections before and after guest stays and reporting any defects or damages to guests’ rooms, including necessary routine repairs.
- Assisting the Summer Intern Housing Program (SIHP) Manager with intern check-in, check-out, rent payments and other SIHP tasks.
- Organizing and executing one social, educational or recreational program for the Summer Intern Housing Program and Summer School participants.
- Sharing on-call responsibilities with other Conferences staff members and responding to emergencies whenever they may arise.
- Attending a mandatory training session during spring semester.
- Participating as a member of a staff team that will be composed of the Assistant Director, the SIHP Manager, 1 other Conference Assistant, and 3-5 other staff members. The Conference Assistants are responsible for sharing ideas, problems, concerns, and suggestions for possible improvements with the Assistant Director and SIHP Manager, in addition to helping and supporting fellow staff team members.
- Being helpful, friendly, and willing to assist conference guests in any way possible.
- Completing additional duties as assigned.
Back to Top
- Must be an Emory or Oxford College student in good academic and judicial standing.
- Must be able to commit to the entire summer dates of employment.
- May not hold another position of employment.
- Must be able to demonstrate attributes of both a team player and a leader.
- Must possess an excellent customer service disposition.
- Must be able to serve as a resource for and a positive representative of Emory University.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and must be approved to drive University vehicles by the Office of Risk Management (training will be provided).
- Experience within a PC/WindowsXP environment is helpful.
Back to Top
Dates of employment are Wednesday, May 16 - Tuesday, August 21, 2012. Candidates who will not be able to stay through August 21 must include this information in their application. Otherwise, all Clairmont Campus Conference Assistants will be required to stay through August 21 unless they have been granted special permission by the Assistant Director.
Additionally, there will be a training session during the spring semester on Wednesday, April 11, 2012, from 7:00 PM to 9:30 PM.
Each Clairmont Campus Conference Assistant will be allowed one four-day vacation period during the summer. Clairmont Campus Conference Assistants must request this time by June 10, 2012. Requests will be approved based upon the individual’s and staff’s workload during the requested time period.
Clairmont Campus Conference Assistants will each have one evaluation mid-summer with the Assistant Director. Termination may occur at any time during the summer due to one’s performance or lack of compliance with University policy, rules and regulations.
Back to Top
- A stipend of $2,500.00 paid in four monthly installments. Since you are not considered a full-time student during the summer, you will be subject to all federal and state taxes, including FICA. All Conferences personnel returning to the same position will receive an additional $1,000 in addition to the stated stipend.
- A furnished private room at Clairmont Campus. You must live in this room to be available for on-call duties and other responsibilities.
Back to Top
Please submit the following
Back to Top
For additional information, please contact:
Office of University Conferences
Atlanta, GA 30322
Phone: (404) 727-0428 | Fax: (404) 727-4774
Emory University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Back to Top