Summer Operations Assistant
Summer Operations Assistants (SOA) perform a variety of duties during the summer break as our physical spaces are improved across campus. This position will challenge the abilities of the chosen candidates and offer them valuable business skills in communication and organization, as well as a basic understanding of facilities management. SOAs report to the Coordinator of Facilities and Operations while receiving leadership from a Facilities and Operations Intern.
This position requires approximately fifteen (15) hours each week of on-site work in addition to serving on the “On Call” rotation for Clairmont Campus. Site work should be expected to take place in any residential facility at Clairmont or central campus. The staff members on call respond to a variety of situations to assist the residents and facilities while the Clairmont office is closed. Staff members are typically on call once every two weeks, depending on the number of staff members.
- Identify cleanliness needs and assess damages
- Note progress of work being performed by contractors and Campus Services
- Create lists of facility needs
- Submit work orders
- Perform minor repairs (replacing light bulbs, changing shower curtains, etc.)
- Moving furniture and/or equipment
- Lock/unlock doors
- Inventory and database management
- Removing items from rooms
- Serve on the “On Call” rotation for Clairmont Campus
- Be aware and knowledgeable of guests on campus
- Maintain professional appearance and atmosphere reflective of Emory University
- Serve as a resource to guest and other staff members
- Possess a sense of customer service for guests and visitors to campus
- Attend all weekly staff meetings
- Attend and participate in all staff training and team development sessions
- Adhere to all University Code of Conduct and Residence Life & Housing Policies
- Assist with other team duties as assigned
Back to Top
- Emory or Oxford student in good academic and judicial standing
- Able to commit to the entire summer dates of employment
- Maintain at least a cumulative GPA of 2.75 if enrolled in summer course(s)
- Possess an excellent customer service work ethic
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Ability to perform physical labor/activities
Back to Top
Important Dates and Renumeration
- Mandatory training will be Sunday, April 23rd from 1:00 pm – 6:00 p.m
- Dates of employment are Wednesday, May 10, 2017 – Friday, August 18, 2017.
- SOAs are allowed four (4) vacation days. These requests must be submitted in writing by Monday, June 5, 2017. Days not submitted will be voided by the SOA.
- While employed, SOAs will share an apartment at Clairmont Campus with other staff members.
- A stipend of $1,000.00, paid in four monthly installments.
- Summer housing assignments will end with employment. At that time, staff will need to transition to their fall housing assignment or an off campus location.
Summer Operations Assistants are considered to be Residence Life and Housing staff members, not student employees, and no formal relationship exists between Summer Operations Assistant staff members and the University.
Back to Top
Application and Additional Information
Applicants are to apply via the common job application for all summer employment opportunities. The deadline is March 17th, 2017 at 5pm. Visit www.emory.edu/HOUSING/JOBS/apply.html for more information.
All other inquiries regarding this position may be directed to:
Coordinator, Facilities and Operations
Housing Operations E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Emory University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Back to Top