Pre-College Resident Advisor
Resident Advisors in the Pre-College program work full-time for the Summer School B session, and have some spring and summer training commitments leading up to Summer School B session. All positions include a generous stipend, a private, furnished residence room, and during employment, a campus meal plan. Students are allowed to move directly from their current Residence Life & Housing assignment to their summer housing, and then directly from their summer housing to their fall assignment, therefore providing comprehensive housing for the summer. Selected applicants are not allowed to have any outside employment or take summer classes during the Summer School Session B. All applicants must be current Emory students or Emory students graduating in Spring of 2013.
The Office of Residence Life & Housing will hire up to ten (10) Resident Advisors.
- Applications are due Tuesday, March 19, 2013.
- Dates of employment are June 24, 2013 - August 10, 2013.
Responsibilities shall include but are not limited to:
- Working closely with other staff members to accomplish the overall mission of the program by attending to the safety, well-being, and enjoyment of pre-college students
- RA responsibilities include day, evening, and night commitments, although there are times when an RC is off-duty during the mornings.RAs will have one day off a week
- Attending mandatory daily staff and team meetings to discuss student concerns and student programming
- Organizing and lead daily programs and activities for students, including evening programs and weekend events. Use creativity in designing activities that appeal to a diverse group of students.
- Adhering to assigned work schedules and maintaining accurate housing operational records.
- Working with Pre-College staff to establish appropriate methods of articulating program and academic expectations and enforcing program rules.
- Enforcing Pre-College program rules consistently and fairly. Follow up immediately on student behavior problems as directed during training.
- Performing daily customer service operations such as handling student check-in and check-out, explaining procedures, giving directions, and reporting specific needs/concerns of students.
- Providing a staff presence at various pre-college program functions around campus.
- Preparing pre-college program housing prior to students’ arrivals.
- Sharing on-call responsibilities with other Pre-College program RAs and responding to emergencies at all times.
- Attending mandatory training sessions during spring semester.
- Participating as a member of a staff team that will be composed of one Residence Hall Director and 10 Resident Advisors. The Resident Advisors are responsible for sharing ideas, problems, concerns, and suggestions for possible improvements with the Residence Hall Director, in addition to helping and supporting fellow staff team members.
- Being helpful, friendly, and willing to assist pre-college students in any way possible.
- Serving as a positive role model and resource for all students.
- Being a visible and accessible presence throughout the program. Be aware of student concerns and problems, and immediately report critical information to the RHD.
- Planning and assisting with social and recreational activities during the program.
- Other duties as assigned.
Back to Top
- Must be an Emory or Oxford College student in good academic and judicial standing.
- Must be able to commit to the entire summer dates of employment, including training that occurs during the spring semester or summer school session A.
- May not be enrolled as a summer student, or hold another position of employment, during summer school session B.
- Must be able to demonstrate attributes of both a team player and a leader.
- Must possess an excellent customer service disposition.
- Must be able to serve as a resource for and a positive representative of Emory University.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and must be approved to drive University vehicles by the Office of Risk Management.
- Experience within a PC/Windows XP environment is helpful.
- Previous Residence Life experience or experience with other pre-college programs preferred.
Back to Top
Pre-College Resident Advisors dates of employment are June 24, 2013 to August 10, 2013 with some training responsibilities during Spring Semester 2012 and Summer School Session A.
Back to Top
Pre-College Resident Advisors will receive a furnished, private room on central campus for the summer. RAs will also receive a meal plan during their employment. You must live in this room to be available on-call duties and other responsiblities. Pre-College RAs will receive a $1,900 stipend, paid in three monthly installments (June, July, and August).
Back to Top
Please submit the following to apply:
- A completed application form. (application will open in a new window)
- A resume and listing of activities in which you are involved.
- Two recommendations.
Complete applications can be sent to the address below; however, due to delays in campus mail, persons mailing their applications are urged to do so early, to ensure delivery. Additionally, applications can be brought to Alabama Hall and left with the receptionist.
We are sorry, but electronic submission is not available. We cannot accept faxed or emailed applications. You will receive notification once we receive your completed application.
Back to Top
For additional information, please contact:
Cristina Dimengo, Complex Director
Office of Residence Life & Housing
Atlanta, GA 30322
Emory University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Back to Top