Pre-College Resident Advisor
Resident Advisors in the Pre-College program work full-time while the program is in session (June 19th – August 1st, 2016), and have some spring and summer training commitments leading up to the summer sessions. All positions include a generous stipend, a private, furnished residence room, and during employment, a campus meal plan. Students are allowed to move directly from their current housing assignment to their summer housing, and then directly from their summer housing to their fall assignment, therefore providing comprehensive housing for the summer. Selected applicants are not allowed to have any outside employment or take summer classes during the Pre-College program. All applicants must be current Emory students.
The Office of Residence Life will hire 12-15 Resident Advisors for Pre-College.
- Applications are due Tuesday, March 15, 2016.
- Pre-College dates of employment are June 12, 2016 - August 1, 2016.
Responsibilities shall include but are not limited to:
- Working closely with other staff members to accomplish the overall mission of the program by attending to the safety, well-being, and enjoyment of pre-college students
- Attending mandatory daily staff and team meetings to discuss student concerns and student programming.
- Organizing and leading daily daytime, evening, night, and weekend programs/activities that appeal to a diverse group of students.
- Adhering to assigned work schedules and maintaining accurate housing operational records.
- Working with the OISP Summer Intern and Pre-College staff of Emory College of Arts and Sciences to establish appropriate methods of articulating program and academic expectations and enforcing program rules.
- Clearly articulating program and academic expectations and standards to students.
- Enforcing Pre-College program rules consistently and fairly; following up immediately on student behavior problems as directed during training.
- Performing daily customer service operations such as handling student check-in and check-out, explaining procedures, giving directions, and reporting specific needs/concerns of students.
- Providing a staff presence at various pre-college program functions around campus, including but not limited to College 101 and class co-curricular field trips.
- Preparing Pre-College program housing prior to students’ arrivals.
- Sharing on-call responsibilities with other Pre-College program RAs and responding to emergencies at all times.
- Attending mandatory training sessions during spring semester.
- Participating as a member of a staff team that will be composed of two ACUHO-I intern, one Program Coordinator, and 12-15 Resident Advisors. The Resident Advisors are responsible for sharing ideas, problems, concerns, and suggestions for possible improvements with the Intern and the Program Coordinator, in addition to helping and supporting fellow staff team members.
- Being helpful, friendly, and willing to assist pre-college students in any way possible.
- Serving as a positive role model and resource for all Pre-College program students.
- Being a visible and accessible presence throughout the program. Be aware of student concerns and problems, and immediately report critical information to the Program Coordinators.
- Planning and assisting with social and recreational activities during the program.
- Other duties as assigned.
Back to Top
- Must be an Emory or Oxford College student in good academic and judicial standing.
- Must be able to commit to the entire summer dates of employment, including training that occurs during the spring semester or during the summer prior to the start of the Pre-College session.
- May not be enrolled as an Emory summer student during summer school sessions A or B. May not hold another position of employment during the Pre-College program.
- Must be able to demonstrate attributes of both a team player and a leader.
- Must possess an excellent customer service disposition.
- Must be able to serve as a resource for and a positive representative of Emory University.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and must be approved to drive University vehicles by the Office of Risk Management.
- Must pass Emory University Human Resources background check.
- Experience within a PC/Windows XP environment is helpful.
- Previous Residence Life experience or experience with other pre-college programs preferred.
Back to Top
Pre-College Resident Advisors dates of employment are June 12, 2016 to August 1, 2016 with some training responsibilities during Spring Semester 2016 and summer before the Pre-College program begins. Because of these training responsibilities, students are NOT allowed to take courses or hold a job or internship that conflict with these dates.
Back to Top
Pre-College Resident Advisors will receive a furnished, private room on central campus for the summer. RAs will also receive a meal plan during their employment. You must live in this room to be available on-call duties and other responsibilities. First-time Pre-College RAs will receive a $1,900 stipend, paid in three monthly installments (June, July, and August).
Returning Pre-College RAs will receive an extra $500 for each summer they have worked for the program. This will be paid over the course of the summer months in multiple installments.
RAs will receive days off as part of a rotation of student staff. These dates will be determined after training begins.
Back to Top
Please submit the following to apply:
- A completed online application. (application will open in a new window)
- A resume and listing of activities in which you are involved (attached to the online application)
- Two recommendations.
Complete applications can be sent to the address below; however, due to delays in campus mail, persons mailing their applications are urged to do so early, to ensure delivery. Additionally, applications can be brought to Raoul Hall and left with the receptionist.
You will receive notification once we receive your completed application.
Back to Top
For additional information, please contact:
Des’mon Taylor, Complex Director
Office of Residence Life
Atlanta, GA 30322
Phone: (404) 727-9520
Emory University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Back to Top