Resident Advisors play an integral role in the quality of the residential program at Emory. For that reason, the administrative staff in the Office of Residence Life has developed a selection process designed to identify qualified individuals, and provide all applicants with valuable experience in group interaction and interviewing.
The selection process will give you an opportunity to share with us your qualifications and motivation for the RA position. RAs are expected to fill many roles; therefore, it takes exceptional people to fill these positions. We take special care in selecting those individuals with potential to develop leadership skills and grow with the Residence Life program.
The Application Process
- Applications: Applications should be submitted online by 11:59PM on January 19, 2016.
- Recommendations: Two recommendation forms are due through the online submission page by 11:59 PM on January 27, 2016. Please submit the names of your references on your application. One of these recommendations should be from a current Campus Life or Residence Life staff member (including SAs, RAs, RHDs, or CDs). The other can be from anyone else including others from the Emory community such as faculty or administrators, or previous employers. Recommendation forms will be automatically emailed to your references once you submit your application.
- Group Interview: The mandatory group interview will be held on Saturday, January 30, 2016.
- Individual Interview: Individual interviews will be conducted on Saturday, January 30, 2016.
Links to the application and application timeline are to the left. Please read this information carefully, as it will provide you with information regarding each step of the application process.
If you have any questions regarding this information, please contafct Ryan Roche at 404.727.2068 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications submitted after the deadline will not receive consideration.
Back to Top
- Academic Standing: Candidates are required to be in good academic standing with the University, which includes being a full-time, registered student at Emory. (Students in their final semester of study who have received approval from Emory College of Arts and Sciences to take fewer than 12 credit hours will remain eligible for employment.) Candidates must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 at the time of application and must maintain this minimum GPA throughout the duration of employment with the department. No exceptions will be made.
- Disciplinary Standing: Candidates are required to be in good disciplinary standing with the University. All candidates having a prior disciplinary history during their tenure as an Emory student should share that information during their interview. Having a disciplinary history with the University or with the department does not eliminate a candidate from consideration, but the nature of the incident(s) may have bearing. All candidates’ disciplinary history will be checked with the Office of Student Conduct.
- Financial Standing: Candidates are required to be in good financial standing with the University. All student staff are expected to meet payment for tuition, and fees. Out-of-state students are not exempt from out-of-state tuition. The salary earned in this position may affect student financial aid awards.
- Residency Standing: Candidates are required to have completed four full semesters of on campus residency at any college or university by the time of employment (Fall 2016). Current first-year students may not apply for the Resident Advisor position.
Back to Top
It is understood that a staff position in the residence halls cannot easily be translated in to hours worked per day or week because of the unique nature of the responsibilities and circumstances. The position requires a genuine personal commitment, flexibility, and good understanding of the unpredictable nature of the actual time involved. To compensate the Resident Advisor for this time and dedication, the Office of Residence Life provides Resident Advisors with an annual stipend that is broken down into the following:
- Payment of $1,246, which is paid monthly at the rate of $124.60 per month.
- A single, furnished room. (This is based off the rate of a single occupancy room for the current academic year).
Back to Top
- Fall Training 2016: All Resident Advisors are required to attend fall staff training prior to the opening of school in August. This year’s training is set to begin with in-community training, informal social, and some administrative work on Tuesday, August 9, 2016 and will continue through Friday, August 19, 2016. Staff can begin to arrive back to campus on Friday, August 5, 2016.
- RA Class: All Resident Advisors are required to enroll and fully participate in the EDS 472 Peer Counseling class. Students will receive 2 credit hours for their participation. The class will be held for two hours on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Fridays during the fall semester. The purpose of the class is to follow up some of the training that will occur before the students arrive, as well as to create a network for new hall staff. Personal development, leadership, diversity issues and other skill-based activities will be presented during the course of the seminar.
Back to Top