Sophomore Advisors (SAs) play an integral role in the quality of the residential program at Emory. For that reason, the administrative staff in the Office of Residence Life & Housing has developed a selection process designed to identify qualified individuals, and provide all applicants with valuable experience in group interaction and interviewing.
The selection process will give you an opportunity to share with us your qualifications and motivation for the SA position. Sophomore Advisors are expected to fill many roles; therefore, it takes exceptional people to fill these positions. We take special care in selecting those individuals with potential to develop leadership skills and grow with the Residence Life program.
The Application Process
- Applications: Applications should be submitted online by 11:59 PM on January 26, 2014. However, if you submit your application early in the semester, we will interview and notify you of your status earlier in the semester.
- Recommendations: Two recommendation forms are due to the Office of Residence Life & Housing by 5 PM on January 27, 2014. Please submit the names of your references on your application. One of these recommendations should be from a current hall staff member, including SAs, RAs, or RHDs. The other can be from anyone else in the Emory community such as faculty or administrators.
- Individual Interview: Each SA candidate will participate in an interview with current student staff. You will be emailed the date of your interview after your complete application has been received. Interview dates will be Tuesday, February 4, 2014 or Wednesday, February 5, 2014.
Links to the application, recommendation forms, and application timeline are to the left. Please read this information carefully, as it will provide you with information regarding each step of the application process.
If you have any questions regarding this information, please contafct Kayla Hamilton at 404.727.4265 or email@example.com.
Back to Top
- Academic Standing: Candidates are required to be in good academic standing with the University, which includes being a full-time, registered student at Emory. Candidates must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 at the time of application and must maintain this minimum GPA throughout the duration of employment with the department. No exceptions will be made.
- Disciplinary Standing: Candidates are required to be in good disciplinary standing with the University. Candidates currently serving a sanction of Probation or higher issued by the Office of Student Conduct are not eligible for employment. All candidates having a prior disciplinary history during their tenure as an Emory student should share that information during their interview. Having a disciplinary history with the University or with the department does not eliminate a candidate from consideration, but the nature of the incident(s) may have bearing. All candidates’ disciplinary history will be checked with the Office of Student Conduct.
- Financial Standing: Candidates are required to be in good financial standing with the University. All student staff are expected to meet payment for tuition, fees, and housing. Out-of-state students are not exempt from out-of-state tuition. The salary earned in this position may affect student financial aid awards.
- Residency Standing: Candidates are required to have completed two full semesters of on campus residency at any college or university by the time of employment (Fall 2013).
Back to Top
Sophomore Advisors, while not compensated monetarily, will be offered the following for their services:
- Early Residence Hall Check-In
- Move-In T-shirt
- Meals during training and opening days
- Valuable leadership experience
- New friends and fun
Back to Top
- Fall Training 2013: All SAs are required to attend fall staff training prior to the opening of school in August. This year’s training is set to begin with in-community training, informal social, and some administrative work on Saturday, August 16, 2014 and will continue through Friday, August 22, 2014. Sophomore Advisor staff are expected to arrive on campus by Friday, August 15, 2014.
Back to Top