The Summer Intern Housing Program Assistants report directly to the SIHP Coordinator and performs a variety of duties to assist the Summer Intern Housing Program. The SIHP Assistant position will provide a varied and challenging experience for those selected. SIHP Assistants coordinate all aspects of the SIHP operation for the summer of 2006. This weighty task requires excellent organization and interpersonal skills. Additionally, SIHP Assistants handle a variety of other duties behind the scenes. They staff our information desks, troubleshoot, and collect rent money each month. These are part-time, live-in positions with on-call lockout responsibilities. If you are selected, we promise you a fun working environment, interactions with a wide range of people, plenty of opportunity for creative problem solving, and an unforgettable learning experience.
- Details regarding this position will be posted early spring 2007. Please come back in the spring!
- Learning all aspects of the Summer Intern Housing Program to ensure a successful stay for the SIHP participants.
- Attending mandatory weekly staff meetings to discuss SIHP plans and concerns.
- Attending bi-weekly one-on-one meetings with the SIHP Coordinator.
- Entering SIHP participant data into the conference database system.
- Preparing all participant check-in materials.
- Adhering to assigned work schedules and maintaining SIHP operational records.
- Performing daily customer service operations such as handling participant check-in and check-out, explaining procedures, giving directions, handling lockouts, and reporting specific needs/concerns of participants to the appropriate staff members.
- Serving as a resource/referral person for SIHP participants by responding to requests for information about Emory and the Atlanta community.
- Maintaining a close and cooperative working relationship with the Clairmont Campus Community Office staff.
- Taking telephone messages and packages for SIHP participants and maintaining a package log book at Clairmont Campus Community Office.
- Responding to emergency maintenance requests by contacting the appropriate person(s).
- Participating in after-hours lockout response to be shared between SIHP Assistants and Clairmont Campus Summer Staff. (Lockout assistance is provided to SIHP residents when the Clairmont Campus Community Office is closed.)
- Inspecting apartments before participant check-ins, every six (6) weeks while they are in residence, and after participants check out.
- Reporting any defects or damages to participants' apartments including necessary routine repairs and keeping accurate records of these reports.
- Keeping accurate key inventories and documenting all key problems.
- Helping to manage SIHP billing procedures as well as maintaining accurate financial records on the account status of each participant.
- Attending a mandatory training session during spring semester.
- Helping to plan and facilitate at least one community activity every 3-4 weeks.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be an Emory or Oxford student in good academic and judicial standing.
- Must be able to commit to the entire summer dates of employment.
- Must be able to demonstrate attributes of both a team player and a leader.
- Must possess excellent customer service/people orientation skills.
- Must be able to serve as a resource for and a positive representative of Emory University. It is helpful to have explored the Atlanta area and be able to refer guests to points of personal interest.
- All staff must be approved to drive University vehicles by the Office of Risk Management.
- A wage of $9.00 per hour for up to twenty (20) hours per week throughout the summer with additional hours during peak times.
- A guaranteed residence in one of the apartments at Clairmont Campus for the duration of employment. SIHP Assistants will be housed in the Undergraduate Residential Center or Tower Apartments in a shared apartment. Remuneration for this position does include housing.
- Telephone installation, voice mail service, Ethernet, and local telephone service are provided. SIHP Assistants are considered to be Residence Life & Housing staff members, not student employees, and no formal relationship exists between SIHP Assistants and the University. You must live in the room provided in order to be available for on-call duties and other responsibilities.
- This position does not guarantee housing at Clairmont Campus during the academic year.
- Because staff members are not considered full-time students during the summer, they will be subject to all federal and state taxes, including FICA.
- A completed application form. Please download an application here.
- A resume and listing of activities in which you are involved.
- Two completed recommendation forms. Recommendation forms may be downloaded here.
Complete applications can be sent to the address below; however, due to delays in campus mail, persons mailing their applications are urged to do so early, to ensure delivery. Additionally, applications can be brought to Alabama Hall and left with the receptionist.
We are sorry, but electronic submission is not available. We cannot accept faxed or emailed applications. You will receive notification once we receive your completed application.
Office of University ConferencesEmory University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Atlanta, GA 30322
Phone: (404) 727-0428 | Fax: (404) 727-4774