Maymester/Summer Resident Advisor
Resident Advisors in the Maymester program work full-time for the Maymester session. When the Maymester session ends, the RAs will continue serving as Resident Advisors for Summer School. There may be some spring and summer training commitments leading up to Maymester session. All positions include a generous stipend, a private, furnished residence room, and food service while the Dobbs University Center cafeteria is in session. Students are allowed to move directly from their current Residence Life & Housing assignment to their summer housing, and then directly from their summer housing to their fall assignment, therefore providing comprehensive housing for the summer.
Selected applicants are not allowed to have any outside employment or take summer classes during the Maymester session, but may do so after Maymester responsibilities end. All applicants must be current Emory students. All Maymester Resident Advisor summer travel plans must be pre-approved by the Area Director.
The Office of Residence Life & Housing will hire up to three (3) Maymester/Summer Resident Advisors.
- Applications are due by 5 PM on Friday, March 8, 2013.
- Dates of employment are Friday, May 10, 2013- Monday, August 12, 2013.
Responsibilities shall include but are not limited to:
- Work closely with other staff members to accomplish the overall mission of the program by attending to the safety, well-being, and enjoyment of pre-college students
- RA responsibilities include day, evening, and night commitments, although there are times when an RC is off-duty while students are in class, and RAs will have one day off a week
- Attending mandatory weekly staff and team meetings to discuss student concerns and student programming
- Assisting University Conferences as a desk worker 10-15 hours per week. This may include assisting with linen shifts, conferences check-ins, and other duties as assigned.
- Organize and lead weekly programs and activities for students, including evening programs and weekend events. Use creativity in designing activities that appeal to a diverse group of students.
- Work with RHD, Area Director, and Maymester administrators to establish appropriate methods of articulating program and academic expectations and enforcing program rules.
- Clearly articulate program and academic expectations and standards to students.
- Enforce Maymester program rules consistently and fairly. Follow up immediately on student behavior problems as directed during training.
- Performing daily customer service operations such as handling student check-in and check-out, explaining procedures, giving directions, and reporting specific needs/concerns of students.
- Providing a staff presence at various Maymester program functions taking place on campus.
- Responding to emergency maintenance requests by contacting the appropriate person(s).
- Preparing Maymester program housing prior to students' arrivals.
- Sharing on-call responsibilities with other Maymester program RAs and responding to emergencies.
- Attending mandartory training sessions during spring semester.
- Participating as a member of a staff team that will be composed of one Residence Hall Director (RHD) and 2-3 Resident Advisors (RA). The RAs are responsible for sharing ideas, problems, concerns, and suggestions for possible improvements with the RHD in addition to helping and supporting fellow staff team members.
- Being helpful, friendly, and willing to assist Maymester students in any way possible.
- Monitoring the physical condition of the residence hall, including reporting emergency maintenance situations to the appropriate person(s).
- Completing additional duties as assigned.
- Getting to know all the students in the program.
- Serve as a positive role model and resource for all students.
- Be a visible and accessible presence throughout the program. Be aware of student concerns and problems, and immediately report critical information to the RHD.
- Respond to student emergency situations at all times. Utilize emergency protocol outlined in training.
- Plan and assist with social and recreational activities during the program.
- Assist with emergencies that may arise during the program.
- Other duties as assigned.
Back to Top
- Must be an Emory or Oxford College student in good academic and judicial standing.
- Must be able to commit to the entire summer dates of employment, including training that occurs during the spring semester.
- May not be enrolled as a summer student, or hold another position of employment, during Maymester. (Students may have another position and/or enroll in summer school with prior approval.)
- Must be able to demonstrate attributes of both a team player and a leader.
- Must possess an excellent customer service disposition.
- Must be able to serve as a resource for and a positive representative of Emory University.
- Experience within a PC/Windows XP environment is helpful.
- Previous Residence Life experience required.
Back to Top
Maymester/Summer Resident Advisor dates of employment are May 10 - August 12, 2013 with some training responsibilities during Spring Semester 2013.
Back to Top
Maymester/Summer Resident Advisors will receive a furnished, private room on central campus for the duration of their employment. You must live in this room to be available on-call duties and other responsiblities. Maymester/Summer RAs will be paid $120.40/month for the duration of the summer.
Back to Top
Please submit the following to apply:
Complete applications can be sent to the address below; however, due to delays in campus mail, persons mailing their applications are urged to do so early, to ensure delivery. Additionally, applications can be brought to Alabama Hall and left with the receptionist.
We are sorry, but electronic submission is not available. We cannot accept faxed or emailed applications. You will receive notification once we receive your completed application.
Back to Top
For additional information, please contact:
Cathy Boyd, Complex Director
Office of Residence Life & Housing
Atlanta, GA 30322
Emory University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Back to Top