Paralell saved in X:\NMR_Center\NMR_Doc\NMR_software
Linux installation on DELL 380N with SATA internal hardisk.
Use 10 CDs set for 64BITs REDHET WS4Linux operation system. VNMJ2.1B for Linux, Supplement fo Dell 380N, Patch:2.1BAllanyvnm109.tar.Z (from Varian Web)
Power on the PC, press F2 to set boot sequence on CDROM. And select drive --> Set to combination.
- Insert the first CD and exit save. At the prompt boot :
- press return at prompt
- After few minutes, a window will pop up click next, to skip the test and select English for both questions.
- Click automatically partition, Click YES for the following question (Erase dataˇ)
- Select remove all partition on this system. It should have only one hard disk. It is check on the hard drive in the computer. Click Next and click YES on the next question.
- High light the partition and click delete to delete all partitions, until say free disk space. Until /dev/had free 78167
- click new to create a new partition.
- /boot 300 MB
- / 10000 MB
- swap 12000MB ( It should be larger than the RAM 1G on board)
- /home fill to maximum allowable size 55859mb
- Click next. No change on this page, click next
- If there are two Ethernet cards installed: The one build-in for console (Eth1). Select active on boot, select the eth1 and click Edit. Leave the eth0 un-edited
- De-select DHCP and input the IP address 172.16.0.11 and 255.255.255.0 to communicate with console. Click OK. For the internet: Select eth1. Select active on boot, and Select on DHCP or get an IP and netmask.
- Select hostname: vnmrs400 click next
- Click no firewall. Do not change others on this page
- Select English, Next
- Select Eastern time zoon, Next
- root passwd:
- Select custom package installation, on the next page, move down and select everything. Note: it needs 5 CDs 1 st CD 12 mins; 2 nd 20 mins 3 rd CD 30 mins; 4 th CD 25mins; 5 th CD 15 mins. And then back to 1 st CD. 2 mins.
- It start installation: 11:30 for the first CD and finished at 1:10pm. Click reboot. The system will be rebooted.
- After reboot. The screen in color at the top 1/3 area. Have to do the following:
Turn off the computer and turn on again, at the Linux graphic window press return, it will stop boot up.
High light the first line:
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Ws (2.6.9 ¨C 5. Elsmp
Pre the ˇ°aˇ± key and wait for the following line to be displayed:
Grap append>ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVoL00 rhgb quiet
It could be different:
Grap append>ro root ˇˇˇˇ rhgb quiet
Add an ˇ°-sˇ± at the end of the line:
Grap append>ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVoL00 rhgb quiet -s
Make sure there is space between quiet and ¨Cs. Then press Enter.
Inert the Supplement for Dell 380N CD, supplied by Varian into the CDROM.
This CD should come with VNMRJ2.1B package.
Few minus, a prompt will be displayed:
Type the following:
Sh -3.00#mount /dev/cdrom /media
Mount block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected mounting is ready
Sh -3.00#cd /media
Sh -3.00# ls ----- list the CD
Sh -3.00# ./pkgsetup
It will install the package (patches), it takes about 7 minutes.
After finish the installation, it will return to the prompt sh -3.00#
eject -----eject CD
reboot ------- reboot the computer again.
After the reboot.
- The window display: Welcome, click Next to setup the Linux
- License agreement YES and Next
- Date and Time
- Display: click configure to select Dell and 1901FD (Digital)
- Resolution: 1280x1024
- color depth: millions of colors. Then Next
- Select ˇ°Tell me why I need to ˇ..ˇ± Next
- Not register now, Next
- System User:
- No additional CD Next
- Finish up. Next, system will be rebooted. To the login prompt:
- Login as root varian1. Check the following: Applications ¨¤ Sytem settings ¨¤ network. Check the eth1 for the console, hostname r400 172.16.0.1 255.255.255.0 and eth0 for the network **8.***.
- 255.255.255..0, . quit.
- Insert VNMRJ2.1B CD, open terminal and type: #mount /dev/cdrom /media
- cd /media #ls should list all the vnmrJ files
- #./load.nmr Starting the vnmrj installation program Make sure use the correct CD (vnmrj for INOVA syste, vnmrj for vnmrs system etc.) double check the top of the window. Then click install. It take about 10 -15 min. then click done.
- #cd / #umount /media #eject the CD.
- reboot (logout the linux and select reboot)
- login as user vnmr1 (open shell and create a new passwd ).
- Install vnmrj patches: it could be downloaded from Varian website(login name and passwd) The patch: 2.1BallANYvnm109.tar.Z is required for new VNMRS system. We have a CD for it.
- In the shell, login as root (su, root passwd) at the prompt # mount /dev/cdrom /dedia (mount the patch CD).
- #cd /media; # ls There is a patch for the system. Move it to the folder in vnmr1.
- #./vnmr/bin/patchinstall /home/vnmr1/2.1BallANYvnm109.tar.Z: Installing Patches 2.1BallANY ˇ.. passwd, select yes. It will take few minutes.
- Make su acqproc: #./vnmr/bin/makesuacqproc
- Setup the system configure: $vnmrj (it will take for 30 seconds comeup): Edit ¨¤ System Settings ¨¤ Select Standard, Gradient Z, Save system file. Click system configure, Select the items as described in the console data sheet: Very important is the lock frequency. It should be recorded on the book. Save the file.
- #cd /vnmr/bin #./setacq It will take several minutes to download 9 files. You need root passwd to do that. If completed, ˇ°starting communicationˇ±
- Add new users: $vnmrj adm (if it is not work, after type the new user name, then the window freezed), you should quit and do the following: login as root: #./vnmr/bin/sudoins. If the user is added correctly, there is a message: new user so so saved.
- Go to User update, to update the user, by select the user and move it to the right site of the window. Then click update.
- Add a printer: management ¨¤ printers ¨¤ Use the following name: hp_ploter and hp_printer (printer uses portrait format; plotter uses landscape formate). Select laserjet300 for printer and laserject300R for the plotter. It will work for printon dgs printoff.