Fair Trade Coffee
Fair Trade Coffee
Cafe Campesiono is featured at Green Bean. This product is locally roasted in Americus, GA and is certified Fair Trade, USDA Organic, and Shade Grown.
- Fair Trade- This certification increases annual incomes of small farmers and helps them put in place tools for self-sufficiency. The most tangible benefits of fair trade are seen in the positive changes in the lives of the coffee growers and their families. Fair trade lets consumers have a clear conscience about their purchases, allowing them to be part of a social justice movement through a simple action.
- Organic - Café Campesino coffee growers use organic methods, which are more environmentally friendly and sustainable. The coffees are grown without harsh chemical fertilizers or toxic pesticides, and processed without the use of potent chemicals.
- Shade Grown - Growing in the shade under the canopy of the rainforest helps preserve biodiversity, as several species of birds thrive in this habitat. Many coffee connoisseurs feel shade grown coffee tastes better than estate grown coffee.
Grounds for Growth
Used coffee grounds are available at various Emory Dining locations for customers to take home for their gardens and compost piles at no charge.
If you are interested, please contact the Cox Hall Manager before hand to arrange pick up.
Here’s how to use them in your garden:
- Sprinkle used grounds around plants for slow-release nitrogen.
- Add grounds to your compost pile to increase nitrogen balance. Coffee filters and tea bags break down quickly in a compost pile, so add those as well.
- Mix coffee grounds into potting soil and new vegetable beds.
- Encircle the base of plants with a coffee and eggshell barrier to naturally repel pests.