175 Makers of History: Luther Fischer
Luther Fischer 1899M
Co-founder, Crawford Long Hospital (now Emory University Hospital Midtown)
Luther Fischer earned his way through the Atlanta College of Physicians and Surgeons (a predecessor to Emory School of Medicine) traveling state-to-state selling Coca-Cola syrup.
In 1908 Fischer and partner Edward C. Davis opened the Davis-Fischer Sanatorium, an 18-bed facility in downtown Atlanta. Fischer was married to Lucy Hurt, niece of Atlanta businessman Joel Hurt and a descendent of Crawford Long. After Davis's death, Fischer renamed their sanatorium for Long, the Georgia doctor who first used ether during surgery. It was Fischer who set the hospital on its path to prominence in maternal-fetal care. (In 1943, the hospital celebrated its 2,126th consecutive birth without a mother's death.)
On January 1, 1940, Fischer deeded Crawford Long and other assets to Emory University and, until his death in 1953, remained tied to the institution he helped build.