175 Makers of History: Donna Keesler Schwartz
Donna Keesler Schwartz 62C
A 1929 report on the state of the university called for the construction of an arts center on campus. After decades of stops and starts, ground was broken on the state-of-the-art facility in 2000. Among the dignitaries brandishing shovels was alumna and parent Donna Keesler Schwartz.
She and her husband, Marvin, influential arts patrons from New York, were instrumental in the effort to build the center, which has fostered a transformative impact on the arts on campus. It welcomes thousands of visitors to Emory from its spot on a small hill at the corner of Clifton and North Decatur Roads. The building, which opened in 2002, is named in the Schwartzes' honor.