To ensure a smooth transition to the United States there are a few things to remember before you arrive at Emory. You should have money readily available to pay for housing costs, paying the balance of your student fees, and any other start up costs such as purchasing food, linens, and furniture.
If you are a student receiving a tuition scholarship and stipend from Emory, please be aware that there are costs for which you must assume responsibility when you arrive. It is also important to note that you will not receive funds from your scholarship when you begin your program. Typically stipends are not available until mid-September for those beginning in August, and mid-February for those beginning in January.
All students are required to have health insurance coverage. For funded students in the Laney Graduate School, health insurance is ususally subsidized by 75% and students are thus responsible for the remaining 25%.
Emory does not offer housing to graduate and professional students. Therefore, you will need to arrange housing in advance of your arrival or be prepared to locate housing. There are various costs associated with renting an apartment/house. Renters must usually pay a deposit plus the first month’s rent. In addition, you should be prepared to pay the costs of establishing utilities such as electricity, water, and natural gas. More information on local resources is available in our section on Housing Information for Students.
Finally, familiarize yourself with the tuition and fee rates per semester associated with your graduate program and be prepared to pay the outstanding fees balance on your student account.