Medical Education

If you are currently enrolled in a medical school abroad and want to come to Emory University for part of your clinical education by participating in an elective, you will need to apply for a B-1/B-2 visitor visa stamp or register through ESTA to come under the visa waiver program if you qualify. The regulations governing the B nonimmigrant status category specifically lists elective rotations as an appropriate activity on the visitor visa. Upon entering the country, you must clearly state your intention to participate in a clinical elective and request to enter either in B-1 status if you are required to enter the U.S. using a B-1/B-2 visa stamp, or in WB visa waiver for business if you qualify for the visa waiver program.