Your permission to stay in the United States ends on the expiration date of your I-797 approval notice or your current I-94 Departure Record card. Extensions up to a six year maximum period in H1B status are possible provided your department is willing to sponsor you for an extension.

Extension Procedure


Extension of your status is your responsibility. If you forget the deadline and apply late, you risk denial. If you are employed and overlook the date, you will be working illegally. Since such mistakes can have serious consequences, you should make certain that you apply well in advance if you need to extend your stay.