Dual Intent (for H-1Bs Only)

Non-immigrant visa holders in H-1B status can have the intent to become a permanent resident of the United States. Having this intent will not affect your ability to get an H-1B visa stamp. Persons in H-1B status desiring to become permanent residents should have either an I-140 filed or labor certification pending prior to the end of their 5th year of H-1B status. This will allow the H-1B to extend H-1B employment beyond the 6th year while the permanent residency is pending.