Changing Degree Program
F-1 students who will pursue another degree at Emory must request a new I-20 from ISSS immediately following admission to the new program. The processing time for a new I-20 is approximately five business days following submission of all required documentation.
In order to request that a new I-20 be issued for this purpose, you must:
- Have maintained F-1 immigration status as described in the Maintaining Status section.
- Have "D/S" written on your I-94 form (the small white card issued upon admission to the United States);
- Provide documentation of sufficient financial support for at least the first academic year;
- Start the academic program in the next available term;
- Present a letter of admission to a new program at Emory.
Step 1: Drop off the following documents at ISSS:
- Copy of the admission letter;
- Photocopy of your current I-20 (pages 1 & 3) and I-94 (front & back);
- Financial documents proving sufficient financial support for at least the first academic year. The amount of support should be equivalent to the current financial certificate for your school. Email ISSS for the current financial certificate. If you are receiving funding from your school, you must have a letter stating the amount and duration, differentiating the amount for tuition and stipend. If you are not receiving funding from your school to cover all expenses, you must complete the financial certificate and include an official letter from your financial institution (or your sponsor's bank) verifying that you/your sponsor have sufficient funds to cover your expenses. Your sponsor will need to sign a section of the financial certificate confirming their agreement to sponsor you. Funds from Curricular Practical Training cannot be used to document financial support. If this information is in a language other than English, an official translation, in English, must be provided to ISSS.
Step 2: Your International Student Advisor processes your request or notifies you of any additional documentation needed within five business days of submission.
Step 3: ISSS emails you to let you know that the I-20 is ready for pick up.