F-1 Off-Campus Employment

F-1 students may not work off-campus except under special circumstances. This off-campus employment must be recommended in SEVIS by a Designated School Official and be approved by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). As an F-1 student, you may not begin off-campus employment until you have received an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from USCIS.

If you believe that you qualify and are interested in obtaining authorization for off-campus employment under one of the following special circumstances, read the additional information provided, prepare the required documentation, then contact the ISSS office for an appointment with your international student advisor.

Severe, unforeseen economic necessity

You must have been in F-1 status for a full academic year (two semesters), prove to USCIS that the employment is necessary due to severe economic hardship caused by circumstances beyond your control and that those circumstances arose after you were granted F-1 status, and apply to USCIS for authorization (in one-year increments). Employment cannot exceed 20 hours per week while classes are in session. Learn more >>

Internship with an international organization

If you have a written offer of employment from a qualifying international organization under the International Organization Immunities Act, you may apply for an EAD through USCIS, valid for increments of one year. There is no waiting period, nor is there a limit on the number of work hours per week. However, you must maintain full-time enrollment and fulfill all other status requirements. Learn more >>

Employment based on the Special Student Relief program

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is allowed to suspend or alter rules regarding employment eligibility for specific groups of students from parts of the world that are experiencing emergent circumstances. The ISSS office will communicate with all students affected by Special Student Relief immediately upon publication of a notice to the Federal Register.

Note: All off-campus employment authorization ends when a student transfers to another school or fails to maintain status.