F-1 On-Campus Employment

All students holding F-1 status are immediately eligible upon obtaining that status to work on campus. Your form I-20 is sufficient proof of eligibility, and no additional authorization is required. You will, however, need to obtain a Social Security Number (for which an offer of employment letter is required.)

The following limitations apply to on-campus employment:

Note: F-1 students are not eligible to work off campus unless specifically authorized to do so. This authorization must be granted by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) through an application to one of its service centers or by DHS through a suspension of its rules known as “special student relief.”