1. Who is eligible for intern housing?
Any undergraduate, graduate, or professional student who has a summer internship with educational or professional relevance in Atlanta. Recent graduates seeking housing will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. If you are unclear as to whether you are eligible, please contact our office and we can discuss your situation.
2. I am studying for the bar exam. Am I eligible?
We accept applications from recent law graduates who are studying for the Bar through the BarBri class at Emory. Please write “BarBri” as your internship site on the application.
Additionally, we have created a special floor for BarBri students that are paying the private rate ($37.00/night). If you select the private rate, we will automatically place you on this hall, which is generally a top floor to ensure the quietest atmosphere possible.
3. What dates do you provide housing this year?
Saturday, May 18, 2019 through Saturday, August 3, 2019.
4. Is there a minimum stay requirement?
We require a minimum of thirty nights for anyone residing in a 4-bedroom or 2-bedroom apartment. If you are staying less than thirty nights, you must pay the private, one-bedroom apartment rate.
5. When is my application due?
There is no specific application deadline. We accept applications on a first-come, first-serve basis until we have filled all our spots. Do not hesitate to contact our office to see if there is still availability!
6. Do I need to send proof of my internship?
No. However, you must provide your internship’s contact person on your application. We perform random employment verifications.
7. I represent a company that would like to house several interns at Emory. How can I reserve spaces for my interns?
Please contact Elijah Ajayi, at 404.727.0428 or email@example.com for more information. In many instances, businesses qualify for a discounted rate if they are paying for the intern housing.
^ back to top
8. How much does housing cost this year?
PRICE PER NIGHT*
|private bedroom in a 4-bedroom/2-bath apartment
|private bedroom in a 2-bedroom/2-bath apartment
|private 1-bedroom/1-bath apartment
9. What amenities are included?
Please visit the amenities page here.
10. Does the pre-payment go toward my first or second payment installment?
The $250 pre-payment (due with the application) is applied toward your first payment installment.
11. When are my payment installments due?
- First installment (May and June rent): 12pm the day before you arrive
- Second installment (July and August rent): July 1st by 5pm (or arrival date if arriving after July 1st)
Note: you are charged on a nightly basis, so depending on your dates, you may not owe money for both installments.
For payments not made by the dates above, you will incur a late fee ($50/day for every day after the installment date) until the payment is made. If you fail to make the payment within 48 hours of the due date, an eviction notice will be posted on your apartment door, and you will be subject to other penalties.
12. How can I change my dates or cancel my application?
Please contact the SIHP Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or 404.727.7632 if you need to change your dates or cancel your application.
- If cancellation of all or part of a reservation is received by the office more than thirty (30) days prior to scheduled arrival, the full pre-payment will be refunded.
- If the cancellation of all or part of the reservation is received by the office within fifteen (15) to thirty (30) days prior to scheduled arrival, 30% of the payment for the number of nights reserved for the cancelled portion will be due.
- If cancellation of all or part of the reservation is received by the office on or within fourteen (14) days prior to the scheduled arrival, 50% of the number of nights reserved for the cancelled portion will be due.
- You may change the dates of your stay if the request is received by June 30 at 5:00pm or the date of the payment of the full balance, whichever occurs first. Please note that you may be subject to a penalty.
- After June 30, no refunds will be issued for early moveouts.
- Request to stay additional nights, so long as the moveout date is still within the dates of the SIHP program, may be accommodated and will need approval by the SIHP Manager.
- If you have already moved in, the SIHP Manager may not approve of date change requests, and you will be responsible for the payment of your balance as indicated above.
^ back to top
13. Where do I check-in and during what hours?
Check-in occurs at the SIHP Office, located on the 2nd floor of the Clairmont Tower on Clairmont Campus: 2425 Dooley Drive, Decatur, GA 30033. The office is located inside the tall tower on the Clairmont Campus. You may park in the circle outside the tower while you check in.
Our hours are:
Monday - Friday: 8am - 8pm
Saturday - Sunday: 12pm - 5pm
14. What if I arrive after-hours?
If you require check-in after our office hours, please contact the SIHP Manager as soon as possible. We will have a on-call staff member available, and you will receive information with how to contact them for check in.
15. What do I need to bring to check-in?
Please review our move-in information for details on checking in.
^ back to top
16. Do I have a roommate?
All bedrooms are private bedrooms, but you can share an apartment with up to 3 other interns, depending on the room rate you reserve.
17. Am I able to contact my apartment mates before I arrive?
As long as your apartment mates permit their information to be shared, we will send apartment mate information along with your room assignment.
18. Can I request roommates? How many may I request?
Yes, you can request to be housed with other people. All requests must be mutual. You may request up to three apartment mates depending on the room rate you reserve.
^ back to top
19. What do I need to bring? What can’t I bring with me?
For a list of suggested and prohibited items, please see our move-in section.
20. Are the apartments cleaned by housekeeping during my stay?
No, our custodial staff will not clean during your stay. We encourage you to bring basic cleaning supplies and toilet paper with you. We have vacuum cleaners available in the office for your use.
21. Where are the laundry facilities?
All of our apartments are furnished with washer and dryers.
^ back to top
22. Where is the parking deck?
The parking deck is connected to the apartment building you are staying in. Each deck is covered and secured. You must acquire a parking pass from the SIHP Office that will permit you to enter the deck and park.
23. How much does parking cost?
Parking is included in the nightly housing rate. You will receive your parking pass when you check-in.
24. Can I use the Emory shuttle system?
Yes, all Emory shuttles are open for use by the community. It does not cost extra to ride an Emory shuttle and you do not need to show an ID to ride. Emory shuttles run throughout campus and also to certain satellite locations, including local grocery stores and malls.
25. What transportation options do I have?
Please see our transportation information here.
^ back to top
26. What do I do if I lose my keys?
Report your lost keys to the SIHP office during our normal office hours or to the on-call pager if it is after-hours. The SIHP Manager will have a lock change performed and then add a lost key charge to your bill. Depending on the number of bedrooms in your apartment, the cost to replace keys ranges from $120-$195. The SIHP Manager will also contact your apartment mates because their locks will be changed, too. You may pick up the new keys at the SIHP office once they are ready.
27. What do I do if I lock myself out of my apartment?
During normal business hours (9am to 8pm on weekdays and 12pm to 5pm on weekends): Please visit the SIHP Office in the Clairmont Tower. An employee will walk with you to your apartment and let you in. Please be prepared to show proof of identification when being let into your room. You will be charged a $10.00 lockout fee onto your account, which must be paid within 48 hours of your lockout.
After hours: If it is after-hours, please call the on-call pager (the number is posted on the office door and in your welcome packet). The on-call staff member will call you and instruct you to meet him/her to get back into your apartment. If you do not have a phone with you, you can page the on-call person using the courtesy phone outside the SIHP Office. Leave a callback number of 404.727.7632 and the on-call person will know to meet you at the SIHP Office. You will be charged a $10.00 lockout fee onto your account, which must be paid within 48 hours of your lockout.
28. How do I place a maintenance request?
Non-Emergency Requests: Use the online request form here: http://webfm.fmd.emory.edu/fmit/studenthousing/. The SIHP ID and PASSWORD are "EMORY". Be specific with your building and room number, as well as the nature of your request.
Emergency Requests: Please contact the SIHP office or on-call pager (if after-hours) for immediate assistance.
29. What are your office hours?
Monday - Friday | 9am - 5pm
Monday - Friday | 8am - 8pm
Saturday - Sunday | 9am - 5pm
Our office will be closed in observance of July 4.
30. What is my mailing address?
The SIHP mailing address is:
Summer Intern Housing Program
1946 Starvine Way
Decatur, GA 30033
31. Where is my mailbox?
You will pick up your mail at the Student Activity and Academic Center (SAAC).
32. Can I purchase a meal plan?
We do not have meal plans available for purchase. However, all Emory dining facilities accept cash and credit. There are also many restaurants in close proximity.
33. What’s the difference between Conference Services and SIHP?
Conference Services oversees the Summer Intern Housing Program. Conference Services is a full-service conference operation during the summer months, and hosts clients on both the main campus and Clairmont Campus. In addition to hiring a SIHP Manager, Conference Services also hires Conference Assistants to assist with SIHP and Clairmont Campus Conferences operations.
34. Who is the SIHP Manager?
The SIHP Manager is responsible for handling all aspects of the intern housing program, including applications, housing assignments and payments. The SIHP Manager is generally an Emory upperclassman or graduate student who works part-time during the spring (January-April) and then works full-time during the months of the program. Should you ever have any questions during your stay, do not hesitate to contact the Manager at 404.727.7632 or email@example.com.
^ back to top