Emory University's core purpose is to create, preserve, teach, and apply knowledge in the
service of humanity.
Emory's strategic plan, Where Courageous Inquiry Leads: 2005 - 2015 provides a means to build upon the University's strengths and create a vibrant future. The goals and strategies expressed in the plan will allow Emory to achieve its vision of becoming a destination university, internationally recognized as an inquiry-driven, ethically engaged, and diverse community whose members work collaboratively for positive transformation in the world through courageous leadership in teaching, research, scholarship, health care and social action.
Based upon this strategic plan, Emory will secure and direct resources, take action, and measure progress.
Emory is committed to the strategic planning process which turns shared vision into action by charting a course for growth and development. The plan is built upon the aspirations of all students, faculty and staff that intersect in a common set of goals and key university-wide priorities. Emory's strategic plan has been updated for the 2010 - 2015 timeframe and has developed three university-wide strategic priorities which will be applied as deeply as possible throughout the organization.
(3) Financial Strength and Resource Stewardship
Emory has also identified five strategic goals.
(1) Emory has a world-class, diverse faculty that establishes and sustains preeminent learning, research, scholarship, health care and service programs
(2) Emory enrolls the best and brightest undergraduate, graduate, and professional students and provides exemplary support for them to achieve success
(3) Emory's culture and physical environment enrich the lives and intellectual work of faculty, students, and staff
(4) Emory is recognized as a place where scholars work collaboratively as a strong and vital community to confront the human condition and experience and explore twenty-first century frontiers in science and technology
(5) Emory stewards its financial and other resources to drive activities that are essential and through those which Emory can demonstrate excellence and provide leadership
The first three goals reflect the core elements of how Emory will achieve its vision - strengthening faculty distinction, ensuring highest student quality and enhancing the student experience, and creating community-engaging society. Goal four focuses on what Emory will contribute to local, national, and international communities through inquiry focused on the tough issues facing society and by developing cutting-edge programs focused on leading research, scholarship, and social action. The last goal ensures that resources are focused appropriately for the strategic plan to succeed.