Strengthening Faculty Distinction
Faculty members are a central and essential resource for achieving our vision of an inquiry-driven, ethically engaged, and diverse intellectual community. Through teaching, research, and service, scholars and teachers of all ranks and disciplines leave an enduring imprint on those whose lives the university touches. To strengthen faculty distinction, Emory must invest in and grow its faculty from within. In addition, Emory must foster external recognition of its faculty, thereby building its distinguished faculty and nourishing, retaining, and recruiting the next generation of outstanding scholars.
The three main initiatives aimed at strengthening faculty distinction include faculty development activities to ensure optimal career trajectories, tenure and promotion practices, and the continued recruitment and retention of excellent faculty at all ranks.
- Fosters successful faculty career trajectories by providing development programs that address teaching, research and service to the institution and the discipline at the domestic as well international level
- Nominates outstanding Emory faculty for prominent awards and membership to prestigious organizations such as the National Academies and celebrate faculty accomplishments
Tenure and Promotion
- Ensures university-wide criteria and processes for faculty promotion and tenure and provide the resources that ensure a successful progression along the faculty career ladder
- Provides an environment that is conducive to faculty advancements in terms of their own career but also in terms of their discipline, the academy and society at large
Recruitment and Retention
- Employs the Faculty Distinction Fund (FDF) to recruit outstanding faculty whose contributions support university-wide priorities
Progress Report (PDF 159KB)
Provost's Office: Faculty Development