Telling Emory's Story
An anniversary offers an occasion to look back and reflect on history. At the same time, we find our history continues to evolve through new research, understanding and perspective.
Here we offer a selection of old and new perspectives on Emory's 175 years of history.
Emory History Minutes
Anniversary Year Reflections
- Emory and Slavery: Considerations
- Emory University at 175: Public radio interview | Part 1 | Part 2
- Emory Magazine: 175th Anniversary Issue
- 175th Anniversary Convocation | YouTube video
- Emory Alumni Association | 175 Connections on The Post blog
Essay Excerpts from Where Courageous Inquiry Leads
The story of a great university's development unfolds in the 44 chapters of the latest published history of Emory, Where Courageous Inquiry Leads: Studies in the Emerging Life of Emory University. We've selected a few of the chapters from the book to excerpt here.
Proceeds from the book benefit the Walter Candler Fund, whose support makes historical and humanities research possible. Order your copy of Where Courageous Inquiry Leads.
Emory Report: Podcast with the authors
- African American Studies at Emory: A Model for Change
- The Case for Law and Religion
- Emory and Methodism
- Lullwater and the Greening of Emory: Catalyst for a New Environmental Commitment
- Lynching, Academic Freedom, and the Old "New South": President Dickey and the "Sledd Affair"
- Medievalist Extraordinary: Remembering George Peddy Cuttino
- Shaped by a Crucible Experience: The Center for Women at Emory
- The Making of the Woodruff Health Sciences Center
Telling Emory's story
Websites, books, papers and archival materials share Emory's story. Here are a few highlights.
- Where Courageous Inquiry Leads: The Emerging Life of Emory University
Edited by Gary Hauk and Sally Wolff King; Bookhouse Group; 2010
- A Legacy of Heart and Mind: Emory since 1836
By Gary Hauk; Bookhouse Group; 1999
- Emory University 1915-1965: A Semicentennial History
By Thomas H. English; Emory University; 1966
- A History of Emory University
By Henry Morton Bullock; Parthenon Press; 1936