Glossary of Terms

A – C  |  D – F  |  H – J  |  K – P  |  Q – Z

212(e): Short-hand for the provision of law under which an individual in J status is subject to the "two-year home residency requirement."

A – C 

A-2: Dependents of A-1 visa holders (employees of foreign governments who enter the United States on official business ). Dependents of A principals may study in the United States without additional permission, although employment is not possible unless the dependent is granted employment authorization by the USCIS.

ADIS: Arrival Departure Information System. ADIS is a US-VISIT mission system w/ the primary function to collect & maintain arrival/departure info on non-US citizens traveling to the US & match travel events w/ changes in immigration status to provide an overstay status. ADIS looks at arrival & departure data collectively from sources, such as USCIS, CBP & SEVIS to determine whether a person departed the US on time or if they legally extended their immigration status.

ARO: Alternative Responsible Officer. A university official who assists the RO (Responsible Officer) with advising for J-1 Exchange Visitors.

B-1/B-2: Visa categories used primarily for visiting the U.S. for business or tourism. Non-immigrants holding B category visas may not enroll for a course of study. Learn more.

CBP: U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Responsible for Immigration inspections (POEs), Border Patrol and Customs Service.

CCD: Consolidated Consular Database. Electronic information on visa issuances.

CFR: Code of Federal Regulations. The CFR is a codification of the rules published in the Federal Register by the executive departments and agencies of the Federal Government. It is divided into 50 titles that represent broad areas subject to Federal regulation. International student and scholar advisors deal primarily with regulations passed by DHS (immigration, 8 CFR), DOL (labopr, 20 CFR, and DOS (visas and exchange programs, 22 CFR).

CIP Codes: Classification of Instructional Programs – accepted federal government statistical standard on instructional program classifications (used in SEVIS to indicate major and minor fields of study).

CLASS: Consular Lookout and Support Systems

CPT: Curricular Practical Training. Following the completion of one full academic year as a full-time student, those holding F-1 status may apply for the benefit of obtaining practical experience that forms an integral part of their curriculum. Because the F-1 student may perform duties for which a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident would normally be paid, the Code of Federal Regulations allows the F-1 student to be paid, as well, as long as the practical training for which the student has been authorized complies with all other regulatory requirements. Learn more.

D – F

DHS: U.S. Department of Homeland Security

D/S: Duration of Status. Stamped in your passport when you entered the U.S. through a POE and indicated on form I-94. It means that you can remain in the U.S. legally for as long as you maintain your status.

DoS: U.S. Department of State. The Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs at DoS has jurisdiction over all J-1 exchange programs. The State Department’s embassies and consulates abroad issue all non-immigrant and immigrant visas.

DS-2019: Certificate of eligibility for J-1 Exchange Visitor status, prepared by the sponsoring agency, which shows program of study, dates of eligibility, financial information, etc. It is not the visa document.

DSO: Designated School Official. A person authorized by the USCIS to sign I-20s and give advice concerning F-1 non-immigrant status. There are ten DSOs at Emory: Scott Allen in Emory College Admissions and Tamika Hairston in Graduate Admissions; Stephanie Roberts, Terry Eiesland, Derek Baran, Rick Lane, Angela Guinyard, Kyla King, and James Kamonjoh in ISSS; and Jennifer Knupp and Christine Richardson at Oxford College.

EAD: Employment Authorization Document (also known as form I-766). This credit-card-size document is required for any off-campus employment by non-citizens (except CPT). It must be in possession of the non-citizen prior to the first day of actual employment. It can be issued to non-immigrant students for OPT, for economic hardship, and for employment by an international agency recognized by the U.S. government.

F-1: The majority of students at Emory are admitted to the United States in this student status and hold F-1 visa stamps in their passport. Learn more.

F-2: Non-immigrant status awarded to dependents (spouses and children) of full-time international students.

Grace period: Period of time a student or scholar is given to depart the United States after completing a program of study or post-completion OPT or AT.

H – J

H-1B: A visa used by a temporary worker valid for up to six year (two three-year priods). You must have at least a bachelor’s degree to qualify, but typically will need a master’s or Ph.D. depending upon the relevant position. The visa is specific to a position. Application is made by the employer and not the individual. Application requires an approved Labor Condition Application from the Department of Labor with a favorable prevailing wage determination from the State Employment Service. This visa can take up to four months to obtain, though a premium processing option is available. Dependents of H1 visas holders on H4 visas are not eligible to work under any circumstances. Learn more.

I-20: Certificate of Eligibility for F-1 student status, prepared initially by the Emory College or Laney Graduate School Admission Office, which shows program of study, dates of eligibility, financial information, etc. It is not the visa document.

I-515A: Notice to student or Exchange Visitor with a SEVIS related document deficiency upon entry into the U.S.

I-765: Application for Employment Authorization. This form is completed by international students who wish to be issued an EAD for one of the categories of off-campus employment or Optional Practical Training.  

I-797: Notice from USCIS confirming receipt or approval of benefits such as change of status, practical training, etc.

I-94: Hard copy or electronic record completed for the non-immigrant at the Port of Entry by the CBP inspector. The record will record the port and date of entry, the non-immigrant status in which the person was admitted to the country, and the date of termination of this status (either a specific date or "D/S"). Additional notations may be made.

ICE: Immigration and Customs Enforcement. The section of the Department of Homeland Security responsible for investigations, detention, removal, and intelligence, as well as the new database (SEVIS) of student information.

INA: Immigration and Nationality Act

International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS): This office serves all international visitors to Emory University and is located in Suite 130 of the North Decatur Building.

J-1 status: Status granted to students or scholars who are on a sponsored Exchange Visitor Program, for example, Fulbright awardees; Emory University has been designated with its own Exchange Visitor Program. Learn more.

J-2: Non-immigrant status awarded to dependents (spouses and children) of J-1 international students and scholars.

K – P 

L-1: The L-1 category allows foreign companies to transfer executives and managers (L-1A) and technical workers possessing "specialized knowledge" (L-1B) to affiliates, branches, parents or subsidiaries in the United States. The primary visa holder can only study as an incident to his or her work in the United States. Dependents of L-1 visa holders are eligible for L-2 visas, and may study in the United States full- or part-time. An L-2 spouse may work only with an EAD card issued by USCIS, obtained by filing Form I-765. An L-2 dependent child cannot work.

LPR: Lawful Permanent Residence, also known as "green card."

OPT: Optional Practical Training. The U. S. government offers international students the opportunity to gain practical experience directly related to the major field of study either during the program of study or by remaining in the U. S. following completion of a program of study for up to one year. International students must apply for OPT upon recommendation by a DSO. Learn more.

PDSO: Principal Designated School Official. Employee responsible for institutional adherence to rules and regulations permitting admission and enrollment of international students in F status.

POE: Ports of Entry. Entry point into the United States where individuals are inspected by a Customs and Border Protection officer upon arrival to the U.S., whether by air, land, or sea.

Q – Z

R-1: The R-1 classification applies to a religious worker. Dependents (spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age) of R-1 workers are entitled to R-2 status with the same restrictions as the principal. Dependents may be students in the U.S., but may not be employed under the R-2 classification.

Responsible Officer or Alternate Responsible Officer: A person authorized by the DoS to sign DS-2019s and give advice concerning J-1 non-immigrant status. Shinsaeng Ko, director of ISSS, is the Responsible Officer for Emory; there are 8 Alternate Responsible Officers also in the ISSS office: Terry Eiesland, Stephanie Roberts, Angela Guinyard, Derek Baran, Jimmy Kamonjoh, Rick Lane, Kyla King and Joan Lindsey.

RFE: Request for Evidence. Sometimes received in response to an application submitted to USCIS for a privilege related to your status. You should pay special attention to the request. It will mention exactly what you need to send to support your application. It will also show a date by which the response must be received. You will want to discuss the RFE with a DSO.

SAO: Security Advisory Opinion. A request by a U.S. Consular Officer to the State Department as to whether a visa stamp should be issued to a particular applicant.

SEVIS: The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System, designed by federal agencies to monitor certain aspects of the programs of F-1 students and J-1 Exchange Visitors in the United States.

SEVP: Student and Exchange Visitor Program.

TAL: Technology Alert List

USCIS: United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Visa: The document affixed in a person's passport that allows that person to present him or herself to an immigration inspector at a U.S. port of entry to request the status for which the visa was issued (e.g., "F-1" or "J-1").