Obtaining a Visa

Departments that make offers or invitations to international scholars will request that ISSS issue any necessary documents that you may require in order to obtain a visa to enter the U.S. In general, the type of activity and purpose of the visit will determine what type of visa is required. The decision about the type of visa is primarily the responsibility of the department and ISSS. Visa sponsorship means that Emory has agreed to assist you with the process of obtaining a visa in order to come to the U.S. for either employment at Emory or participation in Emory’s Exchange Visitor program. The most common visa types among Emory scholars are J-1 (Exchange Visitor) and H-1B (Temporary Worker in a Specialty Occupation).

Exceptions to the visa requirement

Although a valid passport is always required, U.S. visa policy permits citizens of certain countries to travel to the U.S. without a visa. Citizens of the following countries are not required to apply for a visa:

Please note: Only citizens of these countries will not require a visa. Landed immigrants will require a visa to travel to the U.S.